Chapter Fourteen

Author's Note: I am so sorry for the long wait, but here it is! Enjoy! This story is soon coming to a close, so I want to know if I should do a few more chapters and then the epilogue, or what? Comment below and tell me! ♥~ Harper

Chapter 14

As we walked down the church's front steps, Mom squeezed my arm.

"Leyda," I said, pausing when we were out of the way. "This is my mother, someone who has been eager to meet you since we sat down."

"It's nice to meet you," Mom said, hugging Leyda.

"Likewise," she smiled; Leyda suddenly turned in a shy butterfly.

My mom must have noticed, because she did not say more. I slid my arm around Leyda, hugging her close as I kissed the top of her head. She hugged my middle, resting her head against my chest.

"Are you okay?" I asked softly, so only she could hear. "You don't seem to be yourself."

"It's very weird to be back here," Leyda replied as we walked towards the cars. "I just feel like everyone's eyes are on me, the girl who left."

"No, it's all in your head. No one is bothering about you, just look around you. Everyone has one thing on his or her mind, get home and get cooking. Half these people are visitors; they won't even remember you by next week. Besides, the only one who is thinking about you is your family, your friends, me, and our Father in heaven. We care about you, and are all you need to worry about."

Leyda looked up at me, smiling.

"You always know what to say," she said, standing on her toes to kiss my cheek. "And I need a step-stool every time I want to kiss you, ha-ha!"

"But you like my height, right?" I asked, grinning. "Lava Girl, my mom has bugging about meeting you, and I am surprised at how low key she was just now. So, with fair warning, she will be on your case later."

"Thank you for telling me. My mom was the same, but she did not even greet you yet. Be prepared for her to ask you to help in the kitchen."

"That should be fun," I said, pausing next to my dad's car. "Dad, can I ride with Leyda and her folks?"

"Sure son," Dad replied, nodding as he opened the door for my mom. "We're meeting them at their house anyway. We will see you there."

"It was lovely to meet you, Leyda!" Mom said, smiling as she got in the car.

I chuckled, "Mr. Kelly," I said, turning to him. "Would you mind if I rode with you and your family?"

"Of course!" Mrs. Kelly replied, taking hold of my arm as she led me to the car. "I must say that I was thoroughly impressed with your singing today. Bless your mother's hard work for your upbringing. I have never seen anyone so passionate when they are singing praise."

Leyda gave me a knowing look. I winked at her as we got into the back seat of her parents car. Dylan had come in his truck, so it was just the four of us.

When we got to the Kelly's' house, Leyda was her usual self, laughing and smiling. As warned, Mrs. Kelly asked for my assistance in the kitchen, of which I accepted eagerly. Leyda came in now and then to see how things were going.

"You are a culinary whiz!" Mrs. Kelly said as she observed me chopping onions. "Even I cannot chop onions with such ease."

I chuckled, "I did go to chef's school for two years," I explained, putting the onions in the waiting skillet. "I had thought I could become a chef or even just a extra cook, but soccer kept me from following that dream."