Decisions

We spend Thanksgiving with Chris's family, something that I haven't really had in quite a few years. I don't spend either with my parents considering they're both separated. Instead I spend the day alone online shopping.

How sad.

But this year is different, and to have that family unit, laughing, quarreling (Chris and Scott), I feel quite comfortable. More so than I would do around anyone else.

After dinner I'm in the living room playing Connect 4 with Chris's niece while he's in the kitchen helping Lisa to load the dishwasher. The rest of the family either sleeping off the meal or watching the parade. "You want me to grab you a drink?" I ask, getting up from my position on the floor where the game is becoming a nail biter.

"Yeah please" She smiles and I head in the direction of the kitchen

As I go to walk in I stop, overhearing Chris and Lisa in conversation. "So do you think she'll want to make that move? It's very big for her, it would mean she'd need to find a new job. You're asking a lot of her." I hear Lisa say.

Chris sighs, "I know, and I'm not expecting her to drop everything, but if she agrees? Well I guess that it would mean properly being something y'know? Like confirmation that we have a future together".

"You don't see that now?"

"Being away from her for months, even weeks at a time is hard, even harder as we're both living separately. If she moved in then knowing I'd have her to come home to? It's a good feeling".

Lisa sighs. "Just...try not to get your hopes up. Fleur has her own career..."

"I know, and that's what I love about her. She wouldn't just give it all up because of me. She likes being her own person - and I love that she isn't like any of the other girls I've dated".

"Well you sure know how to pick 'em". Lisa chuckles. "And if she says no? What will you do?"

There's a pause and even I'm holding my breath waiting for his answer. "I don't know...try and make it work I suppose".

At this point I choose to walk in and see them suddenly jump. "Just getting some drinks". I smile, pretending I haven't heard them and grab a couple of soda's from the fridge. "Scott's waiting for you to go kick his ass at ping pong by the way".

Chris grins and gives me a kiss, "I'll go put him outta his misery". He says and leaves me alone in the kitchen with Lisa, both of us hearing "SCOTT!" moments later, signalling that he's jump scared him.

Lisa shakes her head. "Those two, never quiet when they're around".

I grin, "I've witnessed".

She shuts the dishwasher and turns it on, now turning around to me and wiping her hands on the kitchen towel. "Did Chris show you the house he's seen?"

I shake my head. I'd already figured that he'd seen one since the conversation we'd had a few weeks back when he'd asked me to come with him. "No, I'm guessing he's probably gonna show me later on".

"He'd told me he'd asked you to move here with him". Lisa now broaches the subject.

I lean back against the counter and toy with the can in my hands. "Yeah..."

"Don't worry, I'm not gonna lecture". Lisa smiles kindly, "You do what you gotta do".

I appreciate this, that she's not pushing me to make a decision and quickly. "I guess I'm just comfortable where I am. I make good money, more than I probably would here - no offense". I quickly say. "I'd just have to uproot everything, then find a new job...it's a lot..."

"Well whatever you decide, Chris will understand".

"I know he will, but I'm just scared that it'll drive us apart if I stay in LA".

"If you love each other that much, then it'll work". Lisa shrugs, "that's how I see it anyway".

I nod, giving her a small smile, "I should take these through". I say, realising that I'm withholding drinks from kids. Last thing I want is to be seen as the bad guy.

**

Chris shows me the all the details of the home he's seen as we lie in bed together that night. It's beautiful, lots of rooms, lots of outside space, and surrounded by hiking trails so Dodger can have his fair share of walkies. He's got plenty of room in the garden as well.

"It's lovely, a real family home".

Is this what he's thinking about? With me?

I didn't think he was ready to settle down, and if I'm honest? I haven't thought about it either. Work has been so much of a focus for both of us.

He doesn't ask if I've thought about moving with him, and I'm sure he knows I'm still torn. Any other girl who he'd ask would jump at the chance, but me? I have to think about what it means and how it will impact me.

"The agent's gonna show me in a couple of days, if you wanted to see it that is?"

I smile, knowing he's going to need my opinion and field of expertise for this, "I'd love to".

Once he's asleep I lie there and stare at the ceiling. I need to make a choice and I need to make it soon.