AziaElga

The Bootcamp Mentors are proud to present a spotlight interview with AziaElga author of Cherry on Top. Check out this writer's works and give them a shout out in the comments. 

BCM: How did you discover the Bootcamp Mentors and what have you found most valuable about the program?

AziaElga: I found out about the Bootcamp Mentors when I saw a few Wattpad stars advertise it on their announcement board. I was already deep in the prep for the Wattys and I thought: why not join and learn more about Wattys prep from people with more experience?

Even before being selected as a mentee, the workshops were super helpful in helping me draft out a new outline for my rewrite, a new summary, and a logline. Now, my mentor Zoe_Blessing has been super helpful in reading through my rewrite and providing me the extra critical eyes I badly need. I definitely see myself being a lot more proud of the finished product now.

BCM:  What prompted you to start writing on Wattpad and what do you like most about the platform as a writer?

AziaElga: When I first started out on Wattpad, I didn't know many platforms out there for writers of varied genres to post their original works for free. I've since branched out a little bit, but Wattpad is still the best platform for me to meet and befriend other like-minded writers. I came for the ability to post my works, but I stayed for the community. :)

BCM: What motivated you to write the story you're submitting to the 2022 Wattys?

AziaElga: The original premise of the story came from a fanfiction I wrote back more than ten years ago. I've always liked the premise but never happy with the execution and the way I ended the story. Therefore, I decided to redo this fanfiction into an original work, this time adding elements that I have grown to feel strongly about as a writer: making it a sapphic love story and having the setting be in Singapore, the country I grew up in.

BCM: If you had to describe your story in three words, what would they be?

AziaElga: First love & self-discovery.

BCM: Tell us one thing about your writing process that has helped you the most.

AziaElga: It took me a while to realize that I am a planner that cannot finish a book if I don't have all the plot points leading to the ending decided. Realizing this has made my writing process a lot faster and I've since able to finish every single book I started!

BCM: Share two Wattpad story recommendations.

AziaElga: Two of my absolute favorite queer stories I've read this year is The Taste of Home by sandydragon1 and Chase by IzYoneyama  They're both so well-written and so good at pulling my heartstrings—and also super underrated. Do check them out!

Thank you, AziaElga. We wish you all the best in your writing endeavors. 

More BCM spotlight interviews are on the way!