A.M. Prabeswar

The Bootcamp Mentors are proud to present a spotlight interview with AM-Prabeswar  Check out this writer's works and give them a shout out in the comments. 

BCM: What motivated you to become a Bootcamp Mentor and what have you found most valuable about the program?

A.M.: I like reading, I like writing, and I also like giving long, in-depth reviews of books I've read. So when I was invited to join the Mentorship Programme I thought it might also be something I'd enjoy, and I was right! It's long, hard work, but seeing how much a mentee improves their writing by the end of the programme is already rewarding in itself.

Through the programme, I get to train myself into not only recognising when something doesn't work (and when it does!), but I also need to be able to explain *why* and help brainstorm alternative solutions. That way, I'm not just mentoring someone, I'm also learning new things and honing my own skills as I go.

BCM: What prompted you to start writing on Wattpad and what do you like most about the platform?

A.M.: I was actually already on Wattpad from way back when it first launched at around 2006 (and it was only filled with classic literature). At that time, I'd already started taking writing seriously for about two, three years, but I only ever went on Wattpad to read books.

It was only in 2014 that I decided to create a whole new profile and actually start *sharing* one of my (at the time) works-in-progress; mostly just as a way to keep myself accountable and force myself to actually *finish* the darned story.

I never thought I'd meet so many other writers, follow so many other fantastic stories from start to finish, but that's what happened! Certainly the community engagement and social aspect of Wattpad is what made me fall in love with the site -- I'm sad to notice those things slowly diminish these past few years, but I'm hoping Wattpad will get back on track.

BCM: Tell us one thing about your writing process that you've incorporated into your mentoring.

A.M.: The planning aspect! I'm about 80% plotter and 20% pantser, so I work best when I have a general outline of things. That is NOT to say that I try to convince or change my mentees to becoming plotters -- it's simply that I like to look at a manuscript and try to plot it *after* the fact, if that makes sense.

For example, I like my mentee to reflect on their finished work and (if they hadn't done it already) determine what story arc best fits with their story. I like them to map out their major plot points, all the minor story beats that need to happen in order to get to those plot points, etc. etc. and in that way it becomes easier to spot any plot holes or inconsistencies later on.

BCM:  If you had to describe your mentee's story in three words, what would they be?

A.M.:  mythical, whimsical, imaginative

BCM:  Will you be entering a story into the 2022 Wattys? If so, what motivated you to write the story?

A.M.:  Unfortunately not this year, since I've been busy with real-life commitments.

BCM:  Share two Wattpad story recommendations.

A.M.:  Ballad of the Mountain Fox by lavenderstar  Such an underrated story -- a fantasy set in ancient Korea (Joseon), filled with humour, mysterious curses, and a sassy kumiho!

Blind Intersection by MrsCosmopilite  I rarely stray outside fantasy, but legit this hidden gem is filled with some of the most engaging characters, dialogue, and murder mysteries I've ever read!

Thank you, A.M.  We wish you all the best in your writing endeavors.

Don't go away. We've got plenty more interviews to unveil.

 We've got plenty more interviews to unveil