areal_16

The Bootcamp Mentors are proud to present a spotlight interview with areal_16 author of Always You. Check out this writer's works and give them a shout out in the comments. 

BCM: How did you discover the Bootcamp Mentors and what have you found most valuable about this Wattpad community program?

areal_16: I discovered the Bootcamp Mentors through some writers I follow on Wattpad. They were a combination of mentors and mentees last year, which was when I first found out about it. What I love about the program is how it brings the community together. Even if you are not a mentor or mentee, you still have the opportunity to work with others to connect over writing, editing, story plots, and all the struggles and celebrations that go into producing a story. It can be such a difficult and rewarding journey to write a story, and it's nice to have a place where you feel supported.

BCM: What prompted you to start writing on Wattpad and what do you like most about the platform as a writer?

areal_16: I wrote my first story roughly seven years ago. I remember reading a story and thinking, that's not how I wanted that to go. I spiraled into a whole world of the story I would want to read, and it prompted me to write it out. I had no intention of ever letting it see the light of day. It was a hobby, something I found as an escape, something I just truly enjoyed. When I discovered Wattpad years later, I started thinking about that story I wrote and wondered what it would be like to let people actually read it. When COVID hit and I was stuck at home, I found it the perfect excuse to take the leap and see what happens.

What I love most about Wattpad is the community. I love that stories are interactive and friendships can blossom between writers and readers. It's been a whirlwind of meeting new people, connecting over common interests and love/hate relationships with cherished characters. I have met some truly amazing people here that I am so incredibly lucky to call my friends.

BCM: What motivated you to write the story you're submitting to the 2023 Wattys?

areal_16: I have always been a sucker for friends to lovers and second chance romance, but I have also always craved what happened in the character's past. A lot of the stories I was reading always alluded to the past or mentioned brief flashbacks. I wanted more. I decided to create something that moved through time, touching on all of those pivotal moments that built who they are and use the power of that to enhance where they landed in the present.

BCM:. If you had to describe your story in three words, what would they be?

areal_16: Emotional, forever, beautiful

BCM: Tell us one thing about your writing process that has helped you the most.

areal_16: What has helped me the most is talking things out. When I feel stuck or unsure, it helps me to share ideas with others. Sometimes just thinking out loud will get my wheels turning and spark inspiration. It helps to have a sounding board, especially if you find someone who understands you as a writer.

BCM: Share two Wattpad story recommendations.

areal_16: Somewhere For Your Loneliness by jerimariee and The Summer of Wild by jessihansen  

Thank you, areal_16. We wish you all the best in your writing endeavors.

More BCM spotlight interviews are on the way!