Elizabeth Comiskey

The Bootcamp Mentors are proud to present a spotlight interview with eacomiskey Check out this writer's works and give them a shout out in the comments. 

BCM: What motivated you to become a Bootcamp Mentor and what have you found most valuable about the program?

Elizabeth: No one succeeds in anything all by themselves. I wrote the first draft of my first novel nine years ago during Nanowrimo, and without the support of that organization and the volunteers who'd done what I wanted to do, I never would have finished. All along the way, at every stage, someone who was a step (or ten) ahead of me reached back and pulled me forward—all through publishing and Watty awards and all of it. I will never be able to pay them all back. It seems only right to jump at the opportunity to pay it forward.

I truly believe that storytelling is crucial to our survival. It's something humans have done for as long as they've existed. It is how we share our history, our values, our hopes, and our fears. If something I do helps a new writer find their voice, I feel like I've made a difference that will ripple forward through generations.

BCM: What prompted you to start writing on Wattpad and what do you like most about the platform?

Elizabeth: My first book was picked up by a micropress, several years ago. It was my editor there who told me to join Wattpad in order to make connections with other writers, and that was the best advice ever. I definitely have made those connections. Finding others who share a passion for storytelling is so powerful—in the best and worst of times, there is a community that "gets it" and they will celebrate and mourn with me. It's wonderful!

The new opportunities that Wattpad has added over the years are pretty fabulous, too. They're really trying to help writers grow and earn a living doing what they love and it's been amazing to watch all of that evolve.

BCM: Tell us one thing about your writing process that you've incorporated into your mentoring.

Elizabeth: I have my mentees follow a process that is very much like the process I follow. First they need to have a finished draft. Then we go through and iron out big-picture stuff. Is there a major plot hole or a bit in the middle that just goes off the rails? After that, we take it one chapter at a time, tightening grammar and looking for little details that make a big difference.

BCM: If you had to describe your mentee's story in three words, what would they be?

Elizabeth: Learning about self.

BCM: Will you be entering a story into the 2022 Wattys? If so, what motivated you to write the story?

Elizabeth: I am entering my story Earthborn. It is my first foray into New Adult and, really, my first serious attempt at light sci fi. When I've finished a project and I start looking for what's next, I go to a list that I keep of ideas. One of the ideas came from a dream I had a few years ago. The female protagonist is actually based on Warf from Star Trek TNG. I had a dream about him when I was binge watching the series. I love the idea of a powerful warrior who is truly good in their heart and who wants to evolve beyond their natural brute strength to assimilate some of the best characters of their more gentle peers. Working with a character like that creates a wonderful opportunity to explore the best and worst of humanity.

BCM: Share two Wattpad story recommendations.

Elizabeth: Only two?!?! Ugh!!

Well...

I have to recommend last year's mentee: Sarah Laker by Mrsdeemo This story is so spooky and dreamlike and generally wonderful that it wasn't even a tiny surprise to me when it showed up on the Watty's shortlist last year.

I also love everything about the stories of lhansenauthor  especially The Da Vinci Mysteries. Her genre-crossing work is delightfully unpredictable, and she has a knack for building characters that are extraordinarily likable—even when they're a little bit evil.

~ 2023 Spotlight Interview with Elizabeth ~

BCM: What is the username of your 2023 mentee and the title of their story? If you had to describe your mentee's story in three words, what would they be?

guywortheyauthor 

Sea Gets Lucky (with an accent over the e, but I'm lame and don't know how to do that)

Hilarious. Touching. Imaginative.

BCM: Will you be entering a story into the 2023 Wattys? If so, what motivated you to write the story? If not, can you share what you're working on?

Yes, I'm entering Wanted: Undead or Alive.

I'm a huge fan of funny, quick-paced mystery-adventure books with heroines like Stephanie Plum or Aurora Teagarden. I gravitate toward urban fantasy. Dark haired Irishmen make my heart pitter-pat. So, when it was time to start a new story, I threw all that in the blender and this is what came out. I really can't remember the last time I had so much fun writing anything.

BCM: Share two Wattpad story recommendations.

Spies, Lies, & Butterflies by unearthingericka is undiscovered gold. I can't believe it doesn't have 100k reads!

Darkheart by SarahQuinnMcGrath is layers on top of layers of rich, spooky mystery.

Thank you, Elizabeth. We wish you all the best in your writing endeavors.

More fun chats are coming your way.