Holly Hamilton

The Bootcamp Mentors are proud to present a spotlight interview with hchladybug1218  Check out this writer's works and give them a shout out in the comments. 

BCM: What motivated you to become a Bootcamp Mentor, and what have you found most valuable about the program?

Holly: Two summers ago, I did the critique partner portion of the Bootcamp program. I discovered my love of going through someone else's manuscript there. So, last summer, I took the plunge and decided to apply to become a mentor. I spent that summer becoming a more substantial mentor, made a new friend, and learned my passion for helping other writers become confident in their author voice.

BCM:  What prompted you to start writing on Wattpad, and what do you like most about the platform?

Holly: The pandemic is the main reason I turned to Wattpad. I was a lonely writer at the time and didn't know how to find other writers/authors. Then, a friend told me about Wattpad, and I fell in love with the orange hallways.

My favorite part of Wattpad is the ever-growing community and non-stop opportunities for writers. With the abundance of contests, writing prompts, mentor programs, and book clubs, Wattpad is the best place for writers of all walks of life to come together as one.

BCM: Tell us one thing about your writing process that you've incorporated into your mentoring.

Holly: As a writer, I outline my books and then try to follow them. However, I tend to go off my outline when my characters tell me where they want to go. When I go into a self-edit mode, I like to highlight my manuscripts and take notes as I go along. My mentoring style mirrors this method. I highlight my mentee's manuscript and comment on dialogue, plotline, grammar, and the like.

BCM:  If you had to describe your mentee's story in three words, what would they be?

Holly: The first word would be compassion. The story is about a young man named Tay who went blind during a car accident. The girl, Emori, who likes him, shows him compassion during a difficult time.

The second word would be compelling. The author has a powerful narrative voice. And the internal thoughts of the various characters are compelling to read at times.

Eye-opening would be my third-word choice. The story is eye-opening because it shows the kindness of other humans. In the story, Emori wants to help Tay get eye surgery that might help him see again. She wants to start a fund to help him pay for it. In the times we live in now, this is a great message to read.

BCM:  Will you be entering a story into the 2022 Wattys? If so, what motivated you to write the story?

Holly: I have a book called Model Perfect that I am considering entering into the Wattys. The story is based on the thyroid surgery I had in the fall of 2021. I wrote it during NaNoWriMo. It is a story about a young woman who has to choose between her modeling career and her thyroid cancer.

BCM: Share two Wattpad story recommendations.

Holly: I would recommend A Walk in Your Shoes by MissJina and Graceful by emmaeverafter

Thank you, Holly. We wish you all the best in your writing endeavors.

There's more to come, folks.