ebenezerbean

The Bootcamp Mentors are proud to present a spotlight interview with ebenezerbean author of Dead Moon Chapel. Check out this writer's works and give them a shout out in the comments. 

BCM: How did you discover the Bootcamp Mentors and what have you found most valuable about this Wattpad community program?

ebenezerbean: Funnily enough, I discovered it through my mentor, who I was already following, when she made an announcement that she would be mentoring this year. I think it has been so valuable in giving me another set of eyes to view my work from an outside perspective and give me some encouragement while also helping me make my story truly shine.

BCM: What prompted you to start writing on Wattpad and what do you like most about the platform as a writer?

ebenezerbean: My friend showed me the platform clear back in 2014 when I was in 7th grade. We were both writers and I've been with it ever since. I stayed because I like that it has space for original stories and not just fanfiction, and because it has a lot of opportunities to show my work to the world and expand my career. Familiarity is also a factor, I've been here coming up on nine years now and other apps just don't have the same nostalgia.

BCM: What motivated you to write the story you're submitting to the 2023 Wattys?

ebenezerbean: I wanted to write the story that I wanted to read. There aren't nearly enough adult-centered stories about trans people, especially trans men, going on fantasy adventures, falling in love, and saving the day. I also wanted to share my experiences about freeing myself of my own internal chains brought upon by my religious upbringing, and I wanted other queer people in that situation to have a story they could relate to and feel empowered by.

BCM:. If you had to describe your story in three words, what would they be?

ebenezerbean: Sexy, spooky, controversial

BCM: Tell us one thing about your writing process that has helped you the most.

ebenezerbean: When I changed my outlining method to almost being too detailed, it improved my writing tenfold from my previous trilogy I've written. Writing everything that happens down while still giving myself some wiggle room made it easier to know what steps to take and also made it easier to be intentional with my symbolism and foreshadowing. And another, probably more important thing: I write what I want to write. I write what I find fun and enjoyable. There are no chapters in this story that I didn't look forward to aside from maybe one or two. It's really made it fun to write.

BCM: Share two Wattpad story recommendations.

ebenezerbean: Bear In Sheep's Clothing by LigiaNunes, of course, and Unearth the Shadows by goncalobooks. Both incredible reads.

Thank you, ebenezerbean. We wish you all the best in your writing endeavors.

More BCM spotlight interviews are on the way!