ReAnne Kennedy

The Bootcamp Mentors are proud to present a spotlight interview with reannekennedy17 Check out this writer's works and give them a shout out in the comments. 

BCM: What motivated you to become a Bootcamp Mentor and what have you found most valuable about the program?

 ReAnne: One of my friends actually contacted me about potentially becoming a mentor! Up until then, I wasn't aware of Bootcamp and what its purpose was. When I was given more information, I fell in love with the idea of helping another writer prep for the Wattys. Although the Wattys are lots of fun, they can be intimidating. You always want to put your best foot forward and submit something you think will make a statement. Passing my knowledge to another fellow writer makes my heart feel whole. 

This is my first year being a mentor, and even though I have one Wattys Award under my belt, I have learned a lot by helping my mentee. The voices of writers are so diverse, and I think that's what makes writing such a beautiful journey; helping others not only broadens your understanding of diversity, but also proves everyone can write a good story. I think the most valuable lesson within the program is good communication. Without good communication, constructive feedback and the friendships you create don't run as smoothly as they should, therefore complicating the process of fine-tuning your story. I'm so grateful for the friendship between me and my mentee!

BCM: What prompted you to start writing on Wattpad and what do you like most about the platform?

ReAnne: Again, I'm giving full credit to another person in my life. A cousin of mine told me about Wattpad when I first began sending her the rough drafts of my first story Come Back to Me. For a year, I was too nervous to start posting anything, but I eventually decided to go for it! I took a deep breath and hit publish, and the rest is history! What I like the most about Wattpad is "meeting" other writers and interacting with the community.

BCM: Tell us one thing about your writing process that you've incorporated into your mentoring.

ReAnne: One thing I have incorporated into my mentoring is the importance of balancing dialogue and description. I struggle with this because I am very dependent on dialogue. When writing, you want a balance so readers don't lose interest or forget where the story is taking place and what external factors are affecting your characters.

BCM: If you had to describe your mentee's story in three words, what would they be? 

ReAnne: If I were to describe my mentee's story, I would use the terms "adventure," "young love," and "unity." My mentee's story is a beautiful story about friendship, love, and getting out and seeing the world.

BCM: Will you be entering a story into the 2022 Wattys? If so, what motivated you to write the story? 

ReAnne: I will be entering two stories into the Wattys this year! Whisky Throttle and The Truth About Forever. Both of these stories were motivated by personal experiences! Of course, I've twisted them in order to make sure I'm not writing about myself. Whisky Throttle was inspired by a man on Trail 4 in West Kelowna who helped me get my dirt bike out of a muddy ditch. The Truth About Forever was inspired by myself being Métis. I wanted to raise awareness about Indigenous Peoples within Canada by creating a Métis character and delving deeper into the history and importance of Indigenous Peoples.

BCM: Share two Wattpad story recommendations. 

ReAnne: I would recommend Snap Shot by rubyranawrites and Solar Power by moonraess

Thank you, ReAnne. We wish you all the best in your writing endeavors.

Let's keep going, shall we. More is on the way.

 More is on the way