Alex Orchard

The Bootcamp Mentors are proud to present a spotlight interview with MiniMoxx. Check out this writer's work and give them a shout out in the comments. 

BCM: What motivated you to become a Bootcamp Mentor and what have you found most valuable about this Wattpad community program?

Alex: When I first heard about the program (a year or so before I became a mentor) I loved the idea of someone with experience helping someone else, and I love helping people out with their writing and learning/growing. I wanted to pass my knowledge on to someone else, and honestly, learn from them too!

From participating both in workshops before I was a mentor and also now as a mentor, I find that everyone - no matter their experience - has something to teach someone else. I love that, and also the drive of people in the program for learning, growing and the community spirit! It really is such a positive thing!

BCM: What prompted you to start writing on Wattpad and what is one thing you find valuable about the platform?

Alex: I came over from a closed down site called Inkpop in 2012. After a break from 2016, I came back in 2019 and have never stopped! I love the way Wattpad allows us to share any step in our writing journey, and I can gain feedback, find friends and also read books that I wouldn't otherwise find. It really is a community place, and I find it valuable in a lot of ways!

BCM: Tell us one thing about your writing process that you've incorporated into your mentoring.

Alex: My writing process is all about getting the draft out, and then going back to edit later, because I find not only does it force me to continue writing and finish, it also makes me know the whole story. Once I know the whole story, I can go back and add in foreshadowing, put in little clues, add things that will make sense later, and I know my characters more. My mentee I think has found this useful especially as her story goes back in timeline, and it really just - for me anyway - makes a whole rounded experience with a story.

BCM: What is the username of your 2023 mentee and the title of their story? If you had to describe your mentee's story in three words, what would they be?

Alex: My 2023 mentee is areal_16 and her story is "Always You". In 3 words, it's: friendship, maturing, heartbreaking (in a nice way lol) I also want to take this opportunity to say how absolutely hard working my mentee is, and a wonderful person. She's really done amazing so far, and her book is so, so worth it. I hope to see her make it!

BCM: Will you be entering a story into the 2023 Wattys? If so, what motivated you to write the story? If not, can you share what you're working on?

Alex: I will! I'll be entering a few this year as they won't be eligible next year with the current rules and when they were written! My main entry though, will be "My Blossoming Redemption" which shortlisted in 2022. I got the idea for it from a TV show in the UK called "Casualty" which is a medical drama, and I incorporated that kind of drama into the story, along with a romance plotline.

BCM: Share two Wattpad story recommendations.

Alex: The Kingdom Where Nobody Dies by josephinepond - a historical alternative universe with romance. The author is a close friend of mine and I absolutely LOVE this trilogy.

And After the Sun Sets by aliastummas1 - a mature romance. Also inspired my own writing. It's such an amazing book, and the author is so talented! 

Thank you, MiniMoxx. We wish you all the best in your writing endeavors.

More BCM spotlight interviews are on the way!