cheddarandcheese

The Bootcamp Mentors are proud to present a spotlight interview with cheddarandcheese author of The Sole Prince.  Check out this writer's works and give them a shout out in the comments. 

BCM: How did you discover the Bootcamp Mentors and what have you found most valuable about the program?

cheddarandcheese: This is actually a funny story! I was looking to see if the 2022 Wattys were announced yet, but I couldn't find the account, so I searched "2022 Wattys" on Google. I saw the Bootcamp Profiles listed in the results, clicked on it, and the rest is history!

To answer the second part, I'll admit I haven't been a part of the community that long as I submitted my app (and found the profile) just a few days before submissions were due... but my fantastic mentor and I had talked for like two hours a few days after we were paired up and it was insanely valuable. I'm so grateful for this opportunity!

BCM: What prompted you to start writing on Wattpad and what do you like most about the platform as a writer?

cheddarandcheese: So, I actually haven't been writing writing for that long, writing my first short story I actually put effort into the summer of 2020. (I've always enjoyed writing, but never thought I'd like doing it at the level I'm doing it now, and now look at me!) Anywho, late fall of 2020, I had the sudden inspiration to write a book. I texted my friend, she supported me, and so I started typing away. A few months later I had my first book Shoelaces all typed up, and I knew it wasn't the best, but I was proud of it! One of my other friends who I showed it to suggested that I post it to Wattpad, so I did, and now I'm here. I wrote my Bootcamp Novel, The Sole Prince, the summer of 2021 and began posting it possibly January of 2022, so yeah!

I think I like Wattpad because it's so easy to connect with the people reading your story, and that's really cool to me! I love hearing about what people think of my work, and I think Wattpad is a great place for that. I also love the concept of the Wattys, because it's amazing everybody has an actual shot of making it big!

BCM: What motivated you to write the story you're submitting to the 2022 Wattys?

cheddarandcheese: This is a tough one... I think I just really love pirates! I'm not really sure why exactly, but they're like my thing. I've always had this weird connection to the concept of a nomad or a wanderer or a man on a journey. There's a certain beauty to being alone and being lost and not really knowing what life is truly about. I've always really resonated with topics like this; I think of Into the Wild, The Catcher in the Rye, and Emergency by Denis Johnson. I think of road trips, eating at a diner alone, and walking around a snowy park while listening to music. I think of astronauts and cowboys. I think of pirates. My novel, The Sole Prince, really is the story of two ships passing in the night that don't let themselves drift apart. I don't know... I don't know... sorry to get so introspective all of a sudden. My tastes are hard for me to describe.

BCM: If you had to describe your story in three words, what would they be?

cheddarandcheese: Oh, this is an easy one: Hot Gay Pirates

BCM: Tell us one thing about your writing process that has helped you the most.

cheddarandcheese: Helped? Hmm, let's see. I love surprising myself as I write! I really enjoy having a barebones outline to follow, and then seeing where I go once I actually get behind a computer screen. There's a beauty in seeing how people's minds work, and I love being able to put mine on paper!

BCM: Share two Wattpad story recommendations.

cheddarandcheese: I shall keep this to a very specific theme both because it's fun and also because I think I've read a total of four books on Wattpad: Lorelia by HicksScribbles  my mentor and The Pirate's Prince by Silver_Ink_

Thank you, cheddarandcheese. We wish you all the best in your writing endeavors.

There are more spotlight interviews to come.