23 - Evaluations

Y/n's POV

Oh shit. Fury knows. I'm terrified.

The rest of the team are complaining but that's all just background noise as I'm mentally screaming. I take a quick pause from my metal breakdown, sensing someone watching me. I look to my right to see Winter Solider staring at me. Does he know something? In response I just awkwardly wave.

He waves back and then we both direct our attention back to Fury, "First off is Ant-Man, follow me.", Fury walks over to the office behind the training center and Ant-Man follows warily behind.

——————————————————————————

We train while everyone is called for their interrogations- sorry I mean evaluations. When people end up back they seem pretty calm but they aren't calm enough to slow down my anxiety.

Iron Man is now called which means it's my turn next. Shit.

After a while Iron Man walks back with the sound of his metal suit clinking against the hard floor.

I then hear the most terrifying thing ever, "Protector you're next."

I follow Fury into the room slowly. He sits down at what I presume to be his desk and I sit down in one of the chairs across the desk.

Once the door is fully closed Fury starts to speak, "So Y/n, do you know why I chose to do evaluations today?"

I've never really seen Fury as scary until today so I took off my mask and said these next words, "I'm so sorry! My friend, Bucky, found out about my identity and I tried my best to gaslight the shit out of him but that didn't work. I thought I was doing well keeping my identity a secret but no. So I'm terribly sorry but someone knows about my identity. Also there's this kid at school that's an absolute bitch. He's literally a jerk to my friends and then expects me to go to the dance with him? I really wanted to make him punch himself in the face but I didn't! ...I don't know why I said the rest of that. I guess you're just easy to talk to?", I laugh in an awkward sense, waiting for his reaction.

He stares at me for a while, digesting all the information I told him, and then finally speaks, "Ok, did your friend say he was going to tell anyone?"

"No. In fact he said he wasn't going to tell anyone."

"What's the bitchy kid's name?" I stare at Fury in shock that he hasn't yelled at me yet. "The kid's name."

"Flash Thompson."

"Oh, I've heard about him before."

"You have?

"Yes, we have agents at the school."

"And you didn't bother to tell me?! I've could've used that to get out of detention and go to training instead!", I exclaim.

"Well maybe you shouldn't be late next time.", he challenges me.

"Wait- Does this mean you have access to my grades too? Because I really need to know what I got on a science test."

Fury looks at me, "Y/n, this is still an evaluation."

I nod my head in response and he continues, "What's the person that knows your identity full name?"

"Why? You're not going to wipe his mind or anything, right?", I question the director.

"No, I don't understand why everyone thinks that we are going to wipe someone's mind.", he sighs.

"Good to know... His full name is James Buchanan Barnes but he goes by Bucky for short."

"Alright, thank you for being honest with me.", and then the most amazing thing happens, Fury smiles, although it was probably the smallest smile ever and only lasted for a second, it was still a smile

I placed my mask back on and hopped out of my chair. "Continue back to training.", Fury opens the door and we both walk out. I head back to where I was before, feeling much better than how I felt in this spot just a little while ago.

——————————————————————————

Bucky's POV

Y/n came back from her evaluation completely calm so that must mean it's not about the fact that someone knows her identity, that someone being me.

I hear my name be called and I follow Fury into his office full of confidence. Not the best idea.

I sit down in seat Fury pointed to and he said the most terrifying words, "Jarvis, make sure the soundproof walls are activated.", he stares at me with his good eye.

I hear a 'yes sir' from Jarvis and Fury goes off, "WHAT THE HELL?! WHY WOULD YOU DO SOMETHING SO INCREDIBLY STUPID!?"

I just stare in response trying to figure out what he means.

"Do you seriously don't know what I'm referring to?!", I slowly nod and he sighs, "At least you're strong...I'm talking about you figuring out Y/n's identity and then how you TOLD HER THAT YOU KNEW!"

Play dumb

"What's an identity?"

Shit, not that dumb.

"James."

"Yes sir?"

"I know you know that Y/n's the Protector."

It's my turn to sigh this time, "Yeah... I know. I didn't mean to find out, it just kind of happened."

"Why didn't you keep it to yourself?", Fury looks at me intensely.

"I know this is selfish but I wanted a way to spend more time with Y/n."

"Huh, not what I was expecting," Fury then goes on to add, "She doesn't know about your identity correct?"

I nod, "That is correct."

"Why didn't you tell her?" he asks.

"I know you want me to say some bullshit like I was trying to follow your rules as much as possible when we both know that is not accurate, so I'll give you the truth.", I pause for a moment and then continue, "I wanted to be able to keep Y/n safer, even though she's a superhero I still want to protect her if I have have the chance and I feel this is a way to do that."

"Interesting. You are dealing with something very fragile here. The second she finds out your identity, she will be very upset."

"I know. It's too late to tell her now though.", I look down.