Chapter Eighty Seven

Start writing your story

Months had passed since the warriors had taken root in the home of their former compatriot, and though there had been many rough patches along the way they had learned to coexist rather well. Even Zahn'tha had grown comfortable in the human dwelling, and he was progressing rather quickly on a physical level, easily grasping the concept of walking and trying to get into everything he was able.

Brielle had developed a routine of forcing Dhadtoudi out of the home for "girls' night" at least once per week, though she'd learned early on that the older woman shouldn't be around her other friends so it was only the two of them going to movies, museums, or whatever they felt inclined to do that day. It had worked wonders in terms of quelling Dhadtoudi's beliefs that humans were nothing more than idiotic, traitorous savages; in fact, she was rather surprised that they were capable of such displays of kindness in times of disaster, or even feats of artistic ability. After all, how could a species with such consideration be all bad?

Brielle sat on the sofa watching something she called "the news" as Dhadtoudi, T'ahrou, and O'kaor readied themselves for a night on the hunt. It was raining heavily outside and both lightning and thunder were frequent in the storm.

"I don't know why you're going out," Brielle stated as she sipped a small cup of coffee, "they're calling for flood-level rains. No one would be stupid enough to get out in this."

"You would be surprised by how stupid your kind really are." She cast an irritated glance toward O'kaor who acted as if he hadn't noticed.

Dhadtoudi pulled on the last few pieces of her armor and T'ahrou helped with the few buckles on the back that held the pieces firmly in place. She definitely looked the part of a battle-hardened warrior, and the scars upon her face only added more to the effect. She had been told while on their home planet that Dhadtoudi had only conceived due to some concoction created by a Yautja doctor and that it slowed the rate of her cell degeneration, thus slowing the aging process, but it seemed even then that the stress of her life had weighed heavily on her over the years.

Dark circles lined her soulless-looking grey eyes. She couldn't keep up with the others as easily if they went on a hunt, let alone truly hold her own in a brawl with them like she used to. She didn't carry her child on her hip anymore; instead settling for snuggling on the bed or sofa. When she moved or crouched down, her joints were beginning to sound more and more like a bag of Jiffy Pop cooking on the stove...but the thing that really stood out to Brielle was that T'arou was having to pick up more and more slack for her, such as latching her armor or stringing up her kills for her to clean. Simple things that - if not for the grotesque lifestyle these creatures lead compared to that of humans - might be considered cute, or as a partner doting on or just freely assisting their loved one with mundane tasks. The Yautja did not see it as such. They believe that if you are not able to do for yourself that you should not be doing at all...that if you cannot survive wholely and completely on your own, that you are a detriment to the gene pool and should be removed.

It was clear that T'ahrou did not mind assisting in these small tasks, but O'kaor went out of his way to point out that his cousin's mate was growing old and wearing down. That her body was breaking and she would soon be unable to function well at all by Yautja standards. Often times when he would make such accusations Dhadtoudi would assert her dominance as a female and verbally - and at times physically - put him back in his place while T'ahrou stood beaming with pride at his spitfire of a mate...but now it was T'ahrou that lay into O'kaor while Dhadtoudi stood silently near the window, her expression unreadable as she watched the downpour outside.

Her body may be breaking down, but her stubbornness was as resilient as ever. Once the trio was ready and Zahn'tha was sound asleep, they activated their cloaking systems and climbed out the window onto the fire escape before making their ways to the rooftop. It would be hours before they returned, and Brielle took the time to catch up on her true crime documentaries. It was nearly midnight before she received an impromptu text message from an old friend.

Auction Friday. Gala begins 9PM with auction following at 11:30. Be there?

She bit her lip and began typing a long-winded response of why she wouldn't be able to make it yet again, but then a thought began creeping into her mind. She struggled with the intruding idea before erasing all the letters and beginning again.

I'll be there. Don't bother reserving a seat at the gala, I'll only be there for the auction. Bringing a true wonder this time. Expect a big exchange.

Not even a minute later another message came across her screen.

Great! Hope to get a peek at the merchandise before it's sold. You always bring high quality whenever you can make an event. See you then.

A brief feeling of excitement was quickly replaced with a sick, sinking sensation in her stomach. The money would be worth it she knew, but how would she even manage to pull off such a stunt? She would figure something out. She always did.