Chapter Three

Brielle woke as she usually did, made herself breakfast which consisted of fried eggs, crispy bacon, lots berries and melon slices, and a tall glass of pineapple juice. She took a quick shower and slipped into a heat-friendly outfit: black tank top, white daisy dukes, and her usual black high top sneakers. She decided to wear a jacket to lessen the wind exposure, and retrieved her keys from their usual spot.

She rode the lift to the parking garage like always and started the motorcycle before driving out onto the street. She took her usual route: main road to the on-ramp and then onto the highway before turning onto the hidden drive. She badged through the gate and then the incessant doors all the way to her lab. She was surprised to see Project Ghost awake and tracking her movements with his amber eyes. "Good morning!" The cheerful greeting earned a low growl, but the woman ignored it as she pressed through the miserable wall of heat to her desk. "You're up early. Is that normal for you?" A series of soft clicking sounds trilled throughout the lab, and Brielle moved to set up her laptop as she always did.

"Muuusic." She chuckled at the creature's rumbling voice.

"Yes, I always have to have music playing while I work. It helps me focus." The being growled and she chuckled again. "Is my playlist that bad?" A curt nod was her answer and she feigned heartbreak. "Ouch, that cut deep! What need have I to live now?!" She moved to the front of the tank and looked up at the floating hunter, a sad smile crossed her face. "I'll try to find some better songs if you help me with my research...do we have a deal?"
————————————————————————
"Miss Ronaldi, I have the..." her laboratory assistant was standing in the doorway with a small to-go container in one hand and a large cup of citrus water in the other. The man's brown eyes were wide as he took in the sight of Brielle in her tank top and painfully short denim shorts, but the most shocking part of the experience was that Project Ghost was not in the cryogenic tank, but lying on the exam table with its wrists and ankles in metal restraints. "Y-your food arrived. How did it get out?!"

"Oh, thank you James! How have the trials with Project Lazarus going?" Brielle retrieved the container from her assistant and flipped open the lid to reveal a decent sized pile of Chinese noodles with vegetables and bits of chicken. She stepped to her desk and retrieved a set of wooden chopsticks before taking a large bite of the noodles. "Mr. Brooks hasn't been giving me updates on him recently. You know if he's sick, just take a break from the trials for a day or two and he'll be back to normal."

James cautiously moved toward the exam table, sweat beading on his forehead from both nerves and the immense heat. "P-Project Lazarus is no longer a ward of the facility..." the man paused briefly, rolling the sleeves of his lab coat to just above his elbows. "The government picked it up nearly a week ago. Figured the military would have a field day with a soldier that won't stay dead. Rumors say they paid a pretty penny for it, too..." James could hear the soft breath of the unconscious being as it trilled from his throat almost like a purr.

A moment later, the scientist glanced over his shoulder to notice the brunette staring blankly at the far wall. "Thank you for bringing my food, James, but I think it would be best if you return to the chem lab."

James stood upright and turned to face his superior. "Brielle, you can't get attached to every project that gets placed on your table. You know how this place works."

"They're not projects, they're living beings! They're not collectible baseball cards to be sold off to the highest bidder!" James flinched not only from her tone, but also from the fiery look in her grey eyes. Without arguing, James walked towards the door to be greeted by the cool air of the hallway.

"You need to shut off your emotions, otherwise you will drive yourself into a rut. You can't get attached in this line of work...you can't afford to feel compassion...you can only do your job. That's the only thing that matters. That's the only way to get ahead, Miss Ronaldi."