Chapter Twenty-Eight

Brielle sat atop her mattress, dressed in the black slip dress that O'kaor had retrieved from Zaiyu when he'd finally left her to bathe alone. Her thoughts kept wandering back to the being that had formerly been the pinnacle of her life's work. So strange it was to see him interacting with herself and others so similarly to how humans would interact with one another. Back on earth he had been so reserved...so intimidating...but here and now, she did not fear him. Perhaps the day of their escape had been the turning point of their encounter. He had stood inches from her; no restraints, no guards, no weapons to defend her. Yet he did not attack her. It was a rouse... she told herself. It was all a show to appear compliant for the soldiers.

Even more intriguing was the fact that O'kaor had held up his end of their 'imaginary' pact. In return for aiding in his escape, he had brought her back to his planet. Granted she had been beaten nearly to a pulp within the first twelve hours of arriving, but he had brought her along nonetheless.

Dhadtoudi was another mystery all in herself. She was human, or at least appeared to be. Was she a hybrid? Were there others? How did she come to be on this strange planet?

The sound of the access panel on her door pulled her from her thoughts. The device slid open to reveal Zaiyu holding a plate of fruit and fish, and his amber eyes darted quickly around the room before he stepped inside. He held the plate towards her and she gratefully accepted the offering with a nod of the head. Zaiyu looked around once more before turning to exit the room. "Zaiyu," he stopped at the sound of his name, "Do you speak English as well?" Soft clicks were her answer. "Did Dhadtoudi teach you the words that you know?" He turned now at his sister's name.

"Dhadtoudi..." He began, "strooonnnggg. Fiiiggghhhttt..." Brielle pursed her lips at his words. Was he trying to metaphorically rub her nose in her loss? Was he trying to console her? Was he trying to say 'this planet ain't big enough for two Oomans'?

"Yes." Her response was forced and curt. "Yes, she is strong in a fight."

"Dhadtoudi...thhhiiiccckkk...skkkuuullllll." Brielle chuckled loud and amused now.

"Yeah, she does seem hardheaded." Zaiyu's mandibles contorted in a strange way now and she wondered if he was trying to smile. "Thank you, Zaiyu." She placed her fist over her heart and bowed at the waist which earned another trill of clicks from the warrior. It was then that she saw T'ahrou move past the doorway with Dhadtoudi following behind. The taller female didn't acknowledge Brielle in any way, shape, or form, and it made her blood boil all over again. Zaiyu looked over his shoulder and flicked his mandibles through the air.

After a moment he turned his attention back to Brielle and returned her salute before leaving her to her devices, the door sealing closed behind him. Brielle sat in the silence for a long moment, looking down at her plate as she prodded a piece of fish with her finger. It was whole, even the eyes remained in the sockets. She nearly gagged when she pressed against its side and one of the eyes bulged to the point it seemed as if it might pop out completely. The woman opted instead to eat the fruit and bit into a piece that resembled watermellon, but cringed when the overwhelming taste of cucumber flooded her tastebuds. After powering through the unusual taste surprise, she picked up a berry that looked like a purple raspberry with bright blue polka dots all over. She observed the berry, then smelled it to detect any strange flavor that might be lurking behind its unusual appearance, and finally placed it in her mouth to chew. The taste of kiwi was a heavenly relief. She devoured the berries before moving on to try other various food items on the plate as she stood to move about the room.

Countless skulls of various sizes lined the walls, including one that resembled a very, very large 'kiande-amedha', as Ghost had referred to it. Had this room's purpose been to serve as a trophy room? No, there wouldn't be a bed or any of the other leisurely items if it had. Perhaps a dormitory of sorts?

Once she had cleared her plate, Brielle placed it on what she reasoned to be the nightstand and lay on the bed to curl up beneath the fur blanket. Her body ached and her mind was tired, so when the weight of sleep began to creep along her body, she didn't resist. Giving into the darkness, the woman succumbed to a deep, dreamless slumber.