Chapter Eleven

"If this is a banquet for successful business owners, I don't see why I have to go." Gregory gave a deep exhale and helped the woman out of the Porsche before closing the door behind her and they walked arm-in-arm along the sidewalk to the event center. Many dignified multi-millionaires were making their way through the double doors, and Brielle clutched her handbag a little tighter. It was embarrassing enough having to wear a dress, let alone such a brightly colored and revealing one. "I feel like that prostitute from Pretty Woman..."

"Well you shouldn't, because you don't have sex with me. You only take my money."

"It's called a paycheck." Another exhale from the man, and Brielle tugged at the slit in the red fabric that expanded the length of her leg to her hip, hoping that if she pulled at it enough that the fabric would meld together and shield her exposed skin. "It still doesn't explain why I have to be here."

"Because I want company and you're the only person I can stand to be around for more than a few minutes at a time."

"I hope you realize that's an idiotic excuse."

"You could accept my offer and make it a legitimate excuse."

"We aren't good as a couple, Gregory. We've talked about this." They stopped a few yards away from the entrance and Brooks turned to look at the woman.

"Because we can't have kids? Brielle, we could adopt if you're so set on the idea!"

"It's not about that and you know it."

"Well if you're trying to find someone who meets the criteria of some asinine list, you're never going to be happy. Now you're going to go in there, we're going to get along, and you are going to make civil conversation with human beings..!"

"I'd much prefer the assets. They at least won't ramble incessantly about the stock value of their new buy-out, or try to one-up each other on charity donations for some irrelevant topic."

Brooks rolled his eyes and led his guest into the event center and upstairs to the vast banquet hall. Almost immediately he engaged in conversations regarding stocks and donations, and Brielle opted to look for the open bar that had been the only upside to her being there.

No later than she received her drink did an older gentleman of about 55 years of age approach her and begin asking questions. His name was Gerard Butler, and he was the founder of the number one medical technology producer.

"So what company does a pretty thing like you run?"

"I'm head of the science division at the G.L. Brooks Association."

"So you're a cosmologist?"

A forced grin made it's way across her painted lips as she took another sip of her drink. "Of sorts."

"Who did you come with if you weren't on the guest list?"

"Mister Brooks asked me to accompany him. I like to people-watch, and he enjoys lengthy conversations. I theorized it would be a mutually beneficial arrangement."

"Scientists and their theories...well if you're ever in the market for OTHER arrangements, just give me a call." Mister Butler handed the young woman a business card which she took and examined. "I'll pay double what he offers."
————————————————————————
"I can't believe you actually turned to Gerard Butler as a sugar daddy!"

"I didn't!"

"You took his card, so you might as well have!"

"You take business cards all the time!"

"Because I run a BUSINESS!!" Brielle stood in-front of the doorway of Gregory's office with her fingers pinching the bridge of her nose. "Why do you decline my offer of a formal relationship just to turn around and offer regular sex for money?!"

"I DIDN'T OFFER HIM ANYTHING!"

"ANSWER MY QUESTION!"

Brielle stormed forward and slammed her palms on the desk and lowered her face mere inches from his own. "Because you're an ASSHOLE! You act like you have a stick up your ass and treat everyone like they're not worthy to lick the dirt off of the bottom of your shoes! The assets that come into this facility, you act like they're just that! You refuse to accept that these are living creatures! That we could learn from them!"

"Is that what this is about?! Those monsters that you treat like pets?!" Brielle said nothing, only stared at him with fire blazing in her grey eyes. If it weren't for me, you wouldn't even know those things existed! You owe me, Brielle!"