Chapter 1: Local Fair

It was still light out when my best friend and I arrived at the local fair, us slamming the doors to her red car after stepping out.

I took a deep breath as I gazed up at the ferris wheel in the distance, us having to park in a grassy area that was temporarily a parking lot. The fair was only going to be in town a couple of weeks before school started up again. I went to adjust my strawberry blonde hair before remembering that Cleo had styled it for me. It was in a pair of french braids down my back with a dark green, wide headband. My outfit consisted of a white button down shirt that tied in the front and showed my stomach some, along with my light colored, flared jeans with white sneakers. I followed Cleo up to the entrance, her Rachel Green inspired haircut really flattering her, especially with her light brown hair and highlights.

"So, what do you want to do first," she wondered once we were at the entrance.

"I have no idea," I admitted, gazing at the rows of options.

"I'm hungry. Do you want to grab something to eat first?" Her green eyes looked over at me as I nodded.

"Yeah, that sounds good. I've been dying for a fair corndog all year."

"Yeah, those are super good. I think I'll get that too, along with french fries."

"Yeah, and a Coke."

"Of course. This is why we get along so well. We love the same kinds of food."

"Mhm. Sure," I sarcastically said, leaning against the counter as she put our order in the temporary pavilion. I gave the man at the register my money for half of the meal before we searched for a place to sit. It was awkward because everyone would sit together at the long benches. We eventually got settled, a blush instantly rising to my cheeks when I caught a glimpse of a really cute boy. He had blonde hair parted to the side with a soft, brown leather jacket on. He was talking with another guy with dark brown hair, me looking down just as Cleo came back with our fresh food.

"I got us both mustard packets. So, who's the cute boy?"

"Oh, no one," I rapidly answered, feeling my face becoming permanently red.

"I wonder if he'll be going to our school this fall. Most of the people that come here are from this town."

"He could go to a different school or just be visiting with relatives."

"Maybe. Anyway, do you want to go to the building first where you get like free stuff from businesses?"

"Sure. I did want to save the ferris wheel for when it got dark out."

"Same. You can stop trying not to look at him. He left."

"Thanks," I weakly smiled, us eating fairly fast before going through the huge building. We kept getting items like free pencils, notepads, just mostly boring but useful things. After we left with our white, plastic bags we headed for the 4-H section. I found all of the live farm animals so cute, us eventually slipping into the tent with the creative submissions such as scrapbooks.

"Wow, I can't believe the time has gone by so fast," Cleo commented after checking her silver watch.

"Yeah, I know we haven't done a whole lot, but I've had a good time."

"Me too. Do you think we should get an elephant ear before or after the ferris wheel?"

"After. That way we can eat it on the way home. It's pretty muggy out here."

"Yeah, does it have to be ninety degrees every day," she winced, the heavy air pressing on us as we stepped into the twilight. The line was longer than earlier for the ferris wheel, since the sun had set, us eventually getting a turn.

"I always forget how high this is. I hope they don't stop us at the top, since the chairs rock."

"I wouldn't worry about it, since they usually get the ride moving again pretty fast."

Thankfully everything went smoothly, and I was heading to the car with the keys in my hand as Cleo waited in line for the elephant ears. I felt a bit nervous in the quiet parking lot, most of the people staying late. I froze up when I saw the glow of a cigarette a couple of cars down. My eyes caught a glimpse of the hollowed cheeks as they took a drag, blowing smoke into the night sky. I pressed my mouth together for a feeble smile as they looked directly at me. They wore no expression on their face, a passing pair of headlights revealing they were the attractive boy from earlier. He squinted his eyes against the blinding glare, me looking down at my hands as I remembered the original plan to sit in the car. I hesitated though as the heat kept penetrating my clothes, my palms clammy as my mind focused on that boy.

"Hey, you ready to go now," I heard him ask his friend who had just showed up.

"Yeah," they replied, them getting into their own vehicle before speeding off.

"I thought you would be in the car by now," Cleo piped up, causing me to jump a bit.

"Oh yeah. I saw that cute guy again. He was smoking a cigarette while leaning against the back of his car."

"Maybe he'll be your boyfriend this year," she teased, poking my arm with her elbow after we got into the automobile. She instantly turned the key in the ignition to get the air system going.

"I wish," I murmured, us heading for home. She dropped me off first, me going straight up to my bedroom upstairs. My parents hadn't waited up, since they knew who I was with and I never broke curfew. I lied back on my bed before my heart jolted when I heard tires on gravel. I ended up peeking past my curtains to see a car parking in the driveway next door. A tall person stepped out, but they lingered to light a cigarette, it obvious they were alone after a minute. Eventually someone switched the porch lights on, and in the glow I saw that same familiar boy, shaking my head in disbelief. So, that's who our new neighbors were.

A/N: Hey guys, I hope you enjoyed this first chapter. I have an idea of where I want this story to go, but I want things to happen gradually. I guess I want the relationship to be a slowburn in a way. And I just realized I didn't reveal the main girl's name in this chapter. Oops. I'll be sure to eventually do that. :) Please remember to comment, vote, and follow. Thank you so much! <3 Also, the title of this book and also the lyrics in the description are from Troye Sivan's song, "Lost Boy." I love his music too much. <3