Chapter 23: Love in the Twilight Zone

"I swear they never heat the school," Clementine said as I stood with her at her locker. I was rubbing my own arms despite wearing a dark purple sweater.

"Yeah, it's always so cold in here," I shivered.

"You okay," Leo gently asked, taking off his soft, brown leather jacket to drape over my shoulders.

"Thanks." A warm smile naturally spread across my lips, him stealing a kiss since none of the teachers were around.

"You and Leo seem really cozy," Clementine commented once he left.

"We've been cozy for awhile now. It's nothing out of the ordinary."

"Alyssa, remember when you first met Leo and kept saying he was always checking you out, or giving you an adoring look?"

"Yeah, and you were always embarrassing me in front of him too," I lightly accused.

"Hey, I was just speaking facts. You two were too shy to admit your feelings for each other."

"Was there a point to this?"

"Oh yeah. Well, he still looks at you special, but it's different now. He looks at you the same way Tobey looks at me, maybe even worse."

"What are you saying? That Leo's in love with me or something? He's never said anything."

"He's probably too scared. He's still in a bad place with his dad."

"That's true. I've been in love with him since we got our tree. I mean, I might have been before, but it's when I personally realized it," I confessed.

"Are you going to the winter dance that's right before break?"

"Yeah, Leo and I already decided to go together. I'm hoping I might be able to stay at his house afterwards."

"You are so lucky. I mean, my parents would never let me stay over at Tobey's like that. We just have to make out in my room every chance we get, or his car," she added as an afterthought. The warning bell rang suddenly, taking us both by surprise, since we didn't realize we had been talking for so long.

"We better get to class," I expressed, us hurrying to our first lesson.

The dance seemed to sneak up on us, and I was putting on my pale blue dress with sparkles.

"You look so pretty," Hazel told me, since I was getting ready at Clementine's house. "I wish Justin and I were going to a dance together. They're not having one for my grade though. He got me a present for Christmas before the break! It's a rose gold bracelet band. Like I can't believe he could even afford it. I think he might have gotten it during Black Friday."

I was enjoying her rambling as I smoothed out the skirt of my outfit in the room she shared with her sister.

"What do you think? Do you think it fits well enough in the chest area," Clementine checked. She was gorgeous in a full length, deep purple dress that swayed when she moved.

"Yeah, it fits you really well. You look so beautiful, Cleo," I complimented her.

She smiled some at how I used her old nickname, since she had ditched it months ago. "Thank you. You look really beautiful too, Alyssa. It looks very wintery."

I giggled softly as I tied my curly hair up into a ponytail, admiring the silver snowflake earrings that were glinting.

"Are you sure I can't come with you guys," Hazel checked.

"Hazel, all the guys there are too old for you. Plus, we're not allowed to bring students below grade nine," her sister emphasized.

"Fine," she sighed loudly in annoyance.