Chapter 17: Autumn Birthday Party

Monday night Hazel was proudly showing off her new boyfriend, Justin at dinner. He was cute with short brown hair and brown eyes.

"And this is where I keep my snow globe collection. Normally it's in my room, but my parents let me put them on the bureau when the holidays start coming back around. See, I have a bunch of Halloween ones. I know that holiday's over, but I'm keeping them out with the fall and Thanksgiving things," Hazel explained as her date nodded slightly. He was leaning closer to check out the objects, her mom hurrying to set all the food on the table.

"Hazel, can you and your date come to the table now, please? All of the food is set out," her mother said.

"Yeah, we'll be right there," Hazel promised, giggling as Justin pushed her chair in for her after she sat down.

"I made country fried steak with white gravy, mashed potatoes, and sautéed string beans with pieces of bacon in it," her mom informed everyone.

"It sounds great, Mom! Justin loves all kinds of meat. His favorite is hamburger. That's why he goes to McDonald's so much," Hazel giggled again.

We all got situated at the table, all of the couples seated next to each other.

"So, Clementine told me your birthday is coming up, Leo. Do you have any specials plans for it," their mom asked.

"Not right now. I thought I might just invite Alyssa, Tobey, and Clementine over," Leo answered after chewing his food.

"I want to come too! Can I bring Justin? He also loves cake," Hazel gushed.

"Yeah, you both can come too. I'll probably just have it in my house or our yard. It depends what the weather's like." He shrugged before shoveling some mashed potatoes into his mouth.

"What kind of cake are you going to have?"

"I have no idea," he lowly chuckled. "My mom usually does all that."

"I think you should have half chocolate and half vanilla. That way everyone can get what they want. Oh! Or you could have cupcakes! They're really good too."

"I'll look into it," he softly chuckled, seeming amused by how excited she was.

"Are you going to have regular food? Or just the cake," Justin wondered as he slowly chewed his country fried steak.

"Probably just some snacks like salsa and chips, and meatballs. My mom usually makes punch every year. And we'll definitely have ice cream too."

"It sounds like my kind of party." Justin nodded as Hazel grinned widely over at him.

"It would be so pretty in the yard with all the fall leaves right now," I commented.

"Yeah, but my mom wants to rake them soon, so we'll see," Leo quietly chuckled.

"Speaking of dessert. I did make some brownies with chocolate chips inside them," their mom piped up.

"That sounds amazing," Tobey expressed, us all smiling at his love of food.

Soon we were all enjoying the delicious sweets, heading for the old play room afterwards.

"Justin and I want to play Mario Kart together. I mean, you guys can play later if you want...," Hazel trailed off before saying only loud enough for us to hear, "But I really want to spend all evening with him."

"That's okay. We don't have to play. We can just watch t.v. in the living room or something," Clementine figured.

"You are the best big sister." She released a sigh of relief as Clementine smirked faintly.