Chapter 19: You've Messed Me Up

"Hey Mom, what did you make for supper," Clementine asked her. We had just arrived at her house, Leo skipping out on our new Monday tradition.

"I made spaghetti with salad and rolls," her mom answered, still a bit busy in the kitchen.

"That's my favorite! I even like the salad, well the ranch that goes on it," Hazel piped up. Her boyfriend wasn't there that evening, since he was busy.

"I also have Caesar dressing in case anyone prefers that," their mom informed us.

"Did you get the little squirting tomatoes," Hazel wondered as we headed for the set table.

"Yes, I did. And I sliced up a cucumber too."

"The cucumber is my favorite," I weakly smiled, still feeling sad that Leo was missing.

"I think I would have to go with the croutons," Clementine shared.

"I like the lettuce," Tobey stated.

"I got kale and spinach this time. Sorry," their mother apologized.

"That's okay," he shrugged, us all getting seated at the table.

"So, how was all your days at school?"

Everyone glanced at me, since they knew my day had been lousy, making me feel uncomfortable.

"It was great! Justin and I hung out the whole lunch period, and he even held my hand when the teacher wasn't looking," Hazel blushed.

"Has he kissed you yet," Clementine teased, nudging her sister with her elbow.

"No... Only on the cheek, but he's so sweet. You would think he wouldn't be being so popular, but he is. Can I have the butter, please?"

Tobey passed it over as we continued filling our plates, Hazel, Tobey, and me playing Mario Kart afterwards, while Clementine watched. Honestly I didn't get tired of the same thing every week. It was an extra nice distraction as my heart ached, and my thoughts kept racing back to Leo. It was already dark when I arrived home due to the current time of the year.

I waved to Clementine before heading for my front porch, but I paused when I caught sight of Leo smoking his cigarette in front of his garage. I had a flashback of when he was determined to walk me home in the dark even with living so close. I almost waved, but I decided against it, pretending to scratch my head instead before stepping indoors. I went straight up to my room after getting ready for bed, my face freshly washed as I fought the impulse to look out my window. I shut off my light, secretly looking at Leo as he stared straight ahead, only his porch light illuminating him. I swore he raised his eyes up towards my room once, but it was hard to tell.

I felt even more lonely the following morning even with Clementine driving me again. I didn't even bother to stop at Leo's locker, no matter how much my feet kept naturally wanting to travel in that direction. Once again he was a no show at lunch, and I wanted nothing more than to crawl into my bed when I got home. After Clementine drove away in front of my house I saw Leo standing outside, us just staring at each other as the breeze ruffled our hair.

He pressed his lips together before walking over, my heart thudding in my chest from fear and hope.

"Hi," he quietly said, tucking his hands in his jean pockets.

"Hi," I echoed, looking at the ground directly after.

"I'm still not in a good place, but I'm sorry for treating you like shit. It wasn't your fault about what happened."

I nodded a tiny bit, still unable to tear my gaze away from the crumpled leaves beneath us.

"I feel even more bad, since you just got me that great gift and everything, and then I ignored you."