Chapter 11: Sue Me

I arrived at school the next day, instantly spotting Leo with Tobey. They were in the parking lot, Leo in a cute, white sweater with that beige headband he just bought. He gave me the most adorable grin in the universe, me fighting every impulse to run up to him and hug him tight.

"Hey," he greeted as Tobey drifted off with Clementine.

"Hi. I wore my headband too," I pointed out. My hair was in a set of braided pigtails with small amounts of hair in front of the brown headband.

"Yeah, I guess we're matching today," he observed, scratching the side of his nose before we walked towards the school. I noticed the girls were staring at Leo more than usual, beginning to follow us as the other guys rolled their eyes.

"You look so cute today, Leo!"

"I want your headband!"

"Hey, can you sit next to me in biology?"

His cheeks were tinted a bit pink as he ignored the random girls piping up, finding his locker through the commotion.

"How are you not like all the other popular guys? You could be them, you know. All of the girls adore you," I spoke up.

"I'm not into all that attention. It's flattering, but I'm just here to get an education and live my life, you know?"

I smiled faintly as he grabbed more books, rocking on my heels as I became lost in my thoughts.

"What," he asked, looking over at me.

"What do you mean?"

"You look like you're really thinking about something."

"I was just thinking about how nice yesterday was. Did you think it was nice," I checked.

"Yeah, I thought we already told each other that."

"Maybe, but I just wanted to say it again, and make sure you still thought it was... nice."

"Yeah, I thought it was nice. Why? Do you not think it's nice anymore?"

"No, no, I do, it's just... I wanted to double check and everything...," I trailed off, not even sure where this conversation was going anymore.

"You better get your stuff for your first class. The bell rings in a couple of minutes," he said after checking his watch.

"Oh yeah... I forgot that we have classes. I mean, it was so nice just hanging out all day yesterday."

"Yeah, I think we established that," he lowly chuckled, looking at the floor before slamming his locker shut.

"Would you want to hang out again tonight? You know, just the two of us this time? I mean, being with Tobey and Clementine was great, but... I mean, it's..."

"Nice when we're both together," he guessed in amusement. "I think that could be your catchphrase, Alyssa," he fondly teased.

"So, do you want to hang out tonight?"

"Yeah, as long as I don't have a shitload of homework. You can meet me by my garage right after school. I should be there."

"Okay. I'll see you then," I warmly smiled. "Bye." A few giggles escaped my lips since we almost bumped into each other, Leo allowing me to walk past first.

"So, do you want to come over for dinner tonight? My mom's making chicken, corn, and mashed potatoes," Clementine piped up as we lifted weights for gym class.

"Oh, that sounds really good, but I asked Leo if he wanted to do something, and he kind of said yes..."

"That's okay, but you're missing out on a great meal."