Chapter 21: The Best News You Could Have Given Me

I eventually went home, since Leo never left his room. I wasn't sure what else to do as I played New Kids on the Block, lying on my bed as I worried about him. I couldn't help it with how much I cared. I jumped a little when my cord phone rang, picking it up as soon as I could.

"Hello," I asked, staring up at the ceiling as I figured it was Clementine.

"Hey," a deeper voice answered, me freezing up when I realized it was Leo.

"Hey, how are you," I instantly checked, sitting up.

"I'm okay, I guess. I'm sorry you had to see all that. I'm just sick of it, you know? I don't think I want to see my Dad for awhile."

"I understand." I clutched the phone tighter as I looked at his house from my window. "I wish I could see you right now."

"Me too, but my room's on the other side of the fucking house," he softly chuckled.

"I was worried you might ignore me again, but I would have understood if you did."

"Nah, I'm not doing that anymore. You always make my life better, Alyssa."

I chewed on my lower lip as I ached to see his ocean blue eyes or blonde hair. "I miss you already." I held my breath, since I wasn't sure if that was something I should bring up too often.

"I miss you too. Hey, you want to go with me and my mom this weekend? We're picking up a tree for Christmas. There's this tree lot we go to every year. It's really nice."

"Yeah, that sounds great. Are you going to invite Tobey and Clementine too?"

"Yeah, we need as many people as possible to find the perfect tree." I could sense his smirk on the other line as I smiled faintly.

"Oh wait, I just realized Thanksgiving is this week too. Do you have any special plans?"

"Not really, just going to stay here with my mom. She's making a turkey and everything though. You?"

"My parents were going to get with my family, but your mom's turkey sounds really good."

"You want to come over here instead?" I loved how I could hear the hopeful sound in his voice.

"Yeah, as long as my parents don't mind. I'll have to ask them soon. What else is your mom having?"

He chuckled softly before he answered, "Uh... I think she's fixing mashed potatoes, dressing, and apple pie."

"It all sounds amazing. Can I bring over some deviled eggs? That's about the only thing I know how to make," I giggled quietly.

"Yeah, I fucking love those, so yeah..." There was silence for a bit as I listened to him breathe. "You want to meet me by the garage? I know it's already dark out, but... I feel like I need a hug or something."

"Yeah, I'll be right there. I'll see you in minutes."

"Alright, bye," he replied, me grinning as I hung up. I raced down the stairs, my parents not minding that I was going to be with Leo for a bit, or about our Thanksgiving plans. I ran up to Leo, my strawberry blonde hair flying behind me before tackling him in a hug. He held me equally as close as he swayed us from side to side, my heart pounding. "I needed that," he quietly expressed.

"Guess what? My parents said we could spend Thanksgiving together," I beamed, parting enough to see his face. The smile spreading across his lips was priceless as he gazed down at me sweetly.

"My mom will be really happy to hear that. You're like a daughter to her now."

"That means so much. I'll seriously have to have more sleepovers here just to hang out with her more," I partly joked, since I was serious too.