Chapter 8: "You Keep Telling Yourself That"

We were forced to play volleyball with the boys during gym class the following day. All of the girls basically begged Leo to play against them.

"Please! We would love to play against someone as strong and good of a player as you," a blonde girl flirted.

"Yeah! We never have fair competition in class," the brunette pouted.

"I'm not that good," Leo modestly claimed, leaving them to join Tobey across from the team Clementine and I were on.

Clementine was the first to serve, the ball going straight for Tobey who easily hit it into the air, Leo slamming it over the net. The girls from the setup next to us were giggling as Leo breathed heavily, catching his breath. After a few rounds sweat was trickling down his shirt, making the front of it soaked.

"You have such a nice chest, Leo," the blonde from before called.

"Yeah, take it off," her friend added loudly, Leo's cheeks turning a little pink. Thankfully their teacher blew the whistle, signaling the boys had to leave.

"Who do those girls think they are? They're embarrassing, Leo," I said to Clementine later.

"That's just the way those two are. They're always flirting with every quarterback or cute boy in this school."

"What if Leo starts realizing how much of a catch he is? Pretty much every girl is drooling over him."

"I wouldn't worry about it. You're his neighbor and lunch buddy now." She winked at me as I blushed some, us finding the cafeteria and our usual table.

"Hey, Leo," I greeted without a second thought.

"Hey," he echoed, giving me a warm smile. We were both gazing into each other's eyes without thinking before Clementine's fork clattered against her tray, and broke us out of it.

"Are you sure you don't care," I double checked with Clementine after school. I had made plans to do my homework over at Leo's house. Usually we always worked on it together.

"Seriously, it's fine," she emphasized for the millionth time on the phone. "I'm not offended that you want to spend time with Leo instead. Well, unless you ignore me completely from now on, but you haven't done that yet."

I smiled faintly before seeing Leo smoking a cigarette by his garage. "Thanks. I have to go. I think Leo's waiting on me now. Bye."

This routine followed through the whole week, and then he was with me at my eye appointment. I was trying on different frames as he let me know his opinion.

"Finally I found the original ones I wanted," I piped up, putting on the rounded glasses with metal frames. He stared at me with his arms crossed, seeming to be in a trance before I broke him out of it. "So, do they look good? Bad? My eyes are dilated, so it's kind of hard to tell."

"They look good, really good." He cleared his throat a bit before looking off to the side.

"Okay, I guess I'll tell them to order a pair like these then. Do you want to stop and eat somewhere?"

"Yeah," he simply answered, us finding ourselves outside of Dairy Queen, eating in his car. We were happily enjoying our Blizzards for dessert, me grinning over at him.

"I can't believe I still have to wait two weeks for my glasses. Do you wear any?"

"No, I've never needed any. I did have braces though. It sucked because I had a lisp for a long time."

I giggled quietly as I looked over at him fondly. "I think you would sound cute with a lisp. I mean... you wouldn't sound bad." I had lost my confidence as I kept focusing on how attractive he was, a drop of his ice cream falling on his pants. "Do you need a napkin?"

"Shit. Yeah, thanks." He wiped off the mess, which he was lucky he had ordered vanilla instead of chocolate like me.

"So... You're really popular at school already. I mean the girls seem to really like you."

"Yeah, I wish they wouldn't yell at me to take my shirt off all the time. It's kind of embarrassing," he confessed, squinting his eyes for a moment.

"Well, they're just noticing... You know, that you're... I mean, you are..."

"Thanks," he warmly smiled, understanding what I was attempting to say.

"And all they would have to is get a pool, and invite you and Tobey," I joked, causing him to laugh out loud briefly. "I love being your friend. I mean, we have good times together, huh," I asked.

"Yeah. So, do you want anything special for your birthday? I mean, you must have a list or something."

"Not really. The New Kids on the Block concert is more than enough. I do love anything fall themed, and that season is coming up."

He nodded a tiny bit before sticking another spoonful of ice cream in his mouth, never looking hotter.

"I live for hearing about your dates with Leo," Clementine told me as we hung out in my room on a random Sunday.

"They're not dates, Clementine."

"Yeah, whatever. He literally complimented you on your glasses, you got food out together, you're always over at his house. You're basically dating, you just don't know it."

"Well, I don't get to make out with him, so there's that."

"I bet you could if you wanted."

"No, I think when he's ready for a relationship he'll let me know."

"Have you gotten to know him that well yet," she wondered.

"Not too much, but it hasn't been that long. I mean..." I had lost my train of thought entirely when I saw Leo mowing his yard, his arms flexing past his short sleeves.

"Do you just stare at him out your window all the time," Clementine teased.

"No... But I mean, look at him... How can anyone be that good looking?"

"I can see that you're not going to hear a word I say from now on."

"Huh?" I didn't even look at her as my eyes remained focused on Leo.

"Go ahead and enjoy it. It's probably the last time he'll be mowing his lawn before autumn."

"Hm," I murmured, not paying attention to her words as I frowned when Leo went behind his house.

"Go over there and talk to him already," Clementine groaned.

I did just that without a second thought, waving to get his attention, Clementine observing from my window this time.

"Hey, so are you mowing your yard," I asked, my arms joined behind my back. No duh, Alyssa.

"Yeah, it's not that hot out, but I feel like I'm burning up," he breathed heavily, me chewing on my lower lip as I looked off to the side. "Why is Clementine staring at us from your window?"

"Oh. She... must have just gotten to my house," I fabricated.

"Do you want to go up to her?"

"No. I mean... we can talk for a little bit."

"I wish I could, but my mom wants this done by today, but we can hang out after. I should be done in like an hour."

"Okay! I mean... That sounds fun."

"I'll see you then," he responded, pressing his lips together before getting back to work.

"You got another date with him, didn't you," Clementine guessed once I was back.

"It's not a date." I nearly laughed, since I was still feeling high from talking to Leo.

"You keep telling yourself that."

"I will, since I don't want to complicate our friendship."

"But what if he decides he's ready to date," she questioned.

"I don't mind if he wants to complicate our friendship," I naturally grinned, feeling that my head was in the clouds.

A/N: Hey guys, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I quoted, "Sabrina, the Teenage Witch" at the end of this chapter. I just couldn't resist. (X Please remember to comment, vote, and follow. Thank you so much! <3