Chapter 7: Secret Crushes on Each Other

"So, you two are going to start out as friends first," Clementine checked as we did homework in my room that evening. "That's a really good idea, especially with him not ready for a relationship yet."

"Yeah, I wish we were more, but I'm willing to wait. What did you get for this math problem," I checked.

"Nineteen."

"One of us must've done it wrong, because I got seven," I frowned, us working it out before it was close to nine at night.

"I better get going. I'm sorry I couldn't stay longer. I know you hate being home alone when you parents are gone."

"Yeah, they both had meetings for their work tonight, but I'll be okay."

"You'll have Leo. Your new friend," she teased, raising her eyebrows in the process.

"Shut up," I quietly said with a smile, peeking past my curtains once she had left. My eyes naturally drifted to the glowing end of the cigarette stick, Leo's fingers securing it in place. He seemed to feel my gaze, since he looked up in my direction. I went ahead and pushed my window up, the sounds of cicadas and crickets hitting me full force. "Hey," I called, feeling the blood rushing to my cheeks.

"Hey," he greeted back, blowing out smoke before looking at me again.

"Is your mom home?"

"No. Why?"

"My parents aren't home either. I thought you might want to keep each other company..." It dawned on me what I said after it left my lips.

"Okay. I'm just going to finish this cigarette first."

"Okay," I called back, shutting my window before fixing my hair a little. I decided to pin it up and back at the sides, going straight for Leo's yard after. His cigarette was becoming a pretty short stub before he burned it out on the driveway. He then threw it away once it had stopped smoking, leading me into his house. I rubbed my arms, since the weather was starting to turn chilly.

"I can turn up the heat," he kindly offered.

"Thanks," I warmly smiled, him turning the knob for the thermostat as I stepped into the living room. "Did you have a good day?" I felt I was running in circles with the similar questions each time.

"Yeah, it was alright. I went out and bought a New Kids on the Block cd after school. They are really good."

I was failing at keeping the corners of my mouth from twitching upwards as I sat on the sofa. He surprised me by putting their tunes on, me becoming shy as, Baby, I Believe in You started flowing through the sound system.

"I see why it's your favorite. It's a pretty good song," he remarked.

"Yeah," I agreed, silence settling between us again. "I'll probably have to get glasses soon. You know how we did the eye test the other day at school?"

He nodded as he looked at me, butterflies making it hard to speak.

"Well, I thought my eyes were just burning because I was tired, but turns out I need glasses. The school keeps sending home reminders about it too."

"What kind were you thinking about getting?" He rubbed the side of his nose before sitting next to me.

"I don't know. I guess, I was thinking maybe roundish, wire frames. I only need them for like seeing the board from the back of the class."

"Do you have your license? I noticed that Clementine gives you rides to school."

"No, I wasn't ready when I took the class for it, but I plan on getting it at least after I graduate."