Chapter 10: If the World Was Ending

I spent my time hugging my new stuffed fox while listening to New Kids on the Block, lying on my bed. It was pouring rain outside as it ran down my window pane, me wondering what Leo was doing at the moment. It was a Sunday morning, but I couldn't bring myself to sleep in after the excitement of the night before. I blushed when I saw Leo through the haze, him running past his car in the driveway, which confused me. I jumped when I faintly heard the doorbell downstairs, my parents answering it.

"Alyssa! Leo's here to see you," my mom called. "I'm going to send him on up, okay?!"

I instantly sat up, running my fingers through my naturally wavy hair and putting my glasses on, so I would be able to see Leo better once he arrived. He knocked on my door lightly before I put on my best smile.

"Come in," I called, crossing my ankles as I attempted at looking casual.

"Hey," Leo grinned, stealing my breath away as he stuck his head inside.

"Hey. What are you doing here?" I scooted over for him as he got situated on the edge of my mattress.

"Tobey and I were going into Chicago, and we wondered if you wanted to come with us."

"Really? Could Clementine come too?"

"Yeah, we're not leaving for another hour anyway. We just thought it was something to do with it being so rainy out."

"Okay, I'll call her right now, and I'll have to get ready too..."

"I'll pick you up later, okay?" He stood as I nodded with a light smile.

"Okay," I agreed, finding out Clementine was just as stoked about this idea.

All four of us traveled there in Leo's car, him behind the wheel with me, while Tobey and Clementine were in the back seat. We were jamming out to pop songs on the radio, Leo continuously glancing over at me with a smile he couldn't contain as I danced in my seat a little.

"So, where are you planning on stopping in Chicago," I asked, once we turned the tunes down.

"We were going to go to one of the malls and a nice restaurant. It's easier to go to a place where everything's together. You know, with all the traffic."

"Yeah, I haven't been here in a long time, but it can get crazy. It's also called the windy city though. I hope it's not raining worse there."

"It's hard telling," he shrugged as the windshield wipers squeaked whenever they moved.

"Most people hate this shirt I'm wearing. They call me colorblind when they see it," Tobey shared as he talked with my best friend.

"I like it. I mean, the colors are a weird combination, but I think it works," Clementine shrugged.

"Really? Or are you just saying that to be nice?"

"Why would I be saying it just to be nice? Are you saying like I'm trying to impress you?"

"I'm just saying you're always giving me compliments like this out of nowhere."

"You don't like it," she asked, them almost sounding as though they were arguing.

"No, I like it! It's just..."

"It's just what?"

His face turned red as she got close to it, their conversation interrupted when Leo had to slam on the breaks.

"Sorry, someone was trying to cut into our lane last minute," Leo apologized, us nearing the big city.

"I always get nervous in busy traffic, and all of these lanes..." I was gazing at the multiple cars as Leo inched forward, since they were getting backed up now.