Chapter 4: Isn't She Lovely

I took a nap right after dinner, feeling refreshed when I woke up, yet disappointed by how late it was. I didn't mean to mess my sleeping schedule up. I peeked past the curtains on my window beside my bed, seeing Leo puffing on a cigarette by his garage like last time. I smiled softly before getting started on my homework, finding it a comfort that he was up too. It was as though I had a friend with me.

The following day I was in a magenta top with a white skirt and cute, white Converse. I couldn't stop from constantly thinking about Leo, having to ask Clementine if I could copy her notes from class.

"I don't see why you keep torturing yourself. You should just talk to him whenever you want, as long as you don't get annoying about it. Trust me, I think he likes you a bit too," Clementine said to me as we headed for lunch.

"Yeah, I don't want to come across as desperate, but he's literally all that I think about."

"Do you want to talk to him at lunch?" She looked over at me as we entered the noisy cafeteria.

"Yes and no. I mean, he's with Tobey now."

"So? Tobey's his friend. He'll understand if you want to talk to Leo for a bit."

"Maybe..." Before I could protest she had pushed me in that direction, Leo looking up since I was right behind him. "Hi. How's your lunch?"

"I just got it," Leo responded, seeming to be fighting off a smile.

"What are they serving today anyway? I missed the lunch schedule."

"I think it's a soy hamburger with cheese, sliced up pears, and... a chocolate chip cookie. I got chocolate milk."

"Oh. That sounds pretty good. I think I'll get that too."

"Alright," he nearly chuckled, turning his seat as my face stayed permanently red. I hurried to the long line, glad when I was finally able to join Clementine.

"I thought you brought your lunch today," she commented after I sat across from her.

"I did, but Leo was telling me about the school lunch, and then I found myself saying I was getting one too, so then I had to." I couldn't stop rambling as she shook her head in amusement.

"I have never seen you so hung up on a guy, and that's saying something for you."

"Yeah, so did you get the tickets for the NSYNC concert? I just got enough money to pay for mine."

"Yeah, but I can't let you pay for it."

"Why not?"

"Because it's actually a New Kids on the Block concert, and it's for your birthday."

"What?!" I was practically squealing as my mouth dropped open. "Oh my goodness, you are the best friend ever and ever!" I reached across the table to hug her as she laughed.

"I think you got someone else's attention," she told me, leaving once the bell rang. I still had to throw the remainder of my food away before getting wedged in the crowd of students.

"Did you get good news," Leo guessed, walking beside me as my face flushed.

"Um, yeah, Clementine got me tickets to a New Kids on the Block concert for my birthday."

"When's your birthday?" He licked his lips as people passed us.

"It's September 17th, so it's still a few weeks away, but I'm excited. I'll be eighteen."

"Yeah? I'll be nineteen on my birthday."

"That's really cool." I looked off to the side as I lost my train of thought.