Chapter 12: Football and Homecoming

"I love this facial mask," Clementine told me as we sat on my bed together. We had just finished our homework for the evening and were now pampering ourselves. It had been torture not mentioning her and Tobey all week, but now I think the topic had to come up.

"So... Have you been asked to Homecoming," I casually asked. We were currently having a sleepover on a Friday night, so we had plenty of time to talk.

"I think I'm going to go with Tobey. Has Leo asked you yet?"

"No, he hasn't even mentioned it." I knitted my eyebrows together in concentration before speaking again. She was occupied with staring at herself in the mirror from across the room, double checking the green avocado didn't slide off her face. "So... You and Tobey."

"What about me and Tobey?" How could she be so nonchalant about this?

"I kind of saw you kissing him on Monday... at your house... in your room."

"Oh that. I'm not sure what we are. That's why I didn't say anything to you about it. We're not officially a couple, but we have kissed a few times. The first time we honestly thought it was a fluke."

"How do you feel about him?"

"I think he's the greatest. He's kind, respectful, fun, and super cute," she gushed.

"I hope things work out between you two. It would be great if we could hang out as couples all the time."

"I'm sure Leo will come around eventually. I mean, even I'm still working on the relationship I want."

I nodded a tiny bit before spotting that usual glow from a cigarette, twilight upon the earth. "I'm worried Leo won't ask me to the dance. I mean, it's only a week away now. If I went, I would still have to find a dress."

"Then go ask him yourself. He's right down there, and he's not going to get mad or anything if you do. You know Leo. He's always happy to see you," she grinned, but I didn't feel as confident.

"Okay, maybe I should just go and ask him. I was just hoping he would ask first."

"Take all the time you need with him. I'm okay just reading your Tiger Beat magazine and blasting NSYNC."

"You can have any of the NSYNC posters that are in that issue," I said.

"Thanks! I think I saw a really cute one of Justin Timberlake."

"It's all yours." I smiled before heading for the outdoors, hugging myself before I reached Leo in the chilly evening. "Hey."

"Hey," he echoed, hiding his smile by taking another puff.

"So... the Homecoming dance is this Saturday, and I was wondering if you were going with anyone."

"Nah, there hasn't been anyone I've asked."

"Oh. Well, would you like to, uh, sort of go together? It wouldn't have to be as a couple. It could be just as friends."

"Yeah, I'd like that, as friends," he added quickly, seeming to almost stammer.

"Great. Um, I'll have to pick out my dress soon. Do you want to go to the football game too, or just the dance?"

"We can go to both. Isn't it supposed to be fucking cold next weekend though?"

"Yeah, but people take blankets sometimes. Clementine is going with Tobey. Did you talk to him?"

"Yeah, he explained how they weren't sure of the relationship yet, or if they were going to be in one."

"Yeah, Clementine basically told me the same thing. So, I'll see you this Friday for the game and then Saturday for the dance?"

"Yeah, and during the week too, I hope," he faintly smirked.