Chapter 24: "Merry Christmas to All, and to All a Good Night"

I was fixing my maroon sweater as I got ready to go over to Leo's house. It was freezing outside, so I was going more for comfort than style. I kept my hair down to keep the air off my neck, hearing a light knock at my bedroom door.

"Hey, you have everything packed for Leo's," my mom softly asked.

"Yeah, thanks for letting me stay with them again. I hope you don't mind I'm spending Christmas with them too."

"No, I understand. When I first started dating your father, I was at his family's get togethers all the time. Eventually when you get married, then you can come back to ours again together," she winked, causing me to blush deeply.

"Mom...," I dragged out. "Leo and I are still in high school, and we just admitted we love each other."

"I know, but you are legal to get married, and you will be graduating this upcoming spring. You're growing up so fast." She pressed her lips together as she looked at me through the full length mirror.

"I know, Mom. Why do you let me stay there all the time?"

"Because we trust you, and we trust Leo, and we also trust Irmelin, but also because we've never seen you so happy. And that boy, when he sees you... His face lights up just like our Christmas tree."

"Yeah, he is really special to me. I just hope he never leaves. I mean, he doesn't have the best faith in love."

"He would be crazy if he left you." She kissed me on the head before glancing at her watch. "You better get going. They'll wonder what's keeping you. They were having dinner at eight, right?"

"Yeah, that way we could watch Mixed Nuts. They're showing it on t.v. tonight and it's so funny," I giggled.

"Yeah, that was a pretty good movie. Your father and I will probably watch the usual."

"It's a Wonderful Life?" I guessed.

"That's the one," she confirmed, me grabbing my suitcase along with an extra bag filled with gifts, and another with food.

"I love you," I told her before leaving.

"I love you too," she warmly smiled.

I had to trudge across the yard, since there was a decent amount of snow on the ground. I could hear it crunching beneath my feet, grateful for my cute, black boots with fake fur in them. I swear I got butterflies when I saw Leo waiting by the window, him looking out for me. The moment he saw me, his face brightened and I could tell he was hurrying for the front door.

"Hey," he breathed, even though it had to be a short trip.

"Hey," I echoed, happy for his quick kiss, since my lips were freezing.

"Hi, I made mashed potatoes with turkey gravy, green bean casserole, and sugar ham," Irmelin piped up from the kitchen. She was coming over to us as she dried her hands with a dish towel.

"That sounds delicious. Is that what we're having tomorrow too," I guessed as Leo helped to take off my coat to hang it up.

"Well, mostly. I made a small amount of ham, so I could cook roast beef tomorrow. That way it would be freshly made and different, and then we'll have rolls, and cranberry dressing..."

"It all sounds great, just like always," I reassured her.

"Thank you. It's been awhile since Leo and I have had a nice holiday. I mean, usually I didn't get much cooking done, because I was arguing so much." She cleared her throat a bit when she noticed Leo looking over at us. "I'm sorry. We should leave the past behind and focus on the present."