Chapter 22: First Snowfall of the Season

I was actually up bright and early when we were supposed to pick out our tree. I had to squeeze into the backseat with Clementine and Tobey, since Leo was driving with his mom in the passenger seat. I gazed outside at the passing scenery of lingering leaves on trees, them already becoming bare as winter approached. When we arrived at the tree lot, I stepped out in my grey skirt with intricate, black designs on it, along with black leggings, cute boots, and a grey sweater with two white birds on it. I had to wear an indigo coat over all of that though, since it was freezing. We could even see our breath as we trekked up to where the tree lot began.

"Okay, so we have to get on this wooden platform thing, so that the tractor can drive us out there," Leo explained, us passing a tree, which was getting shaken with a machine to make sure it was clean of bugs.

"This looks like so much fun," Clementine gushed, hurrying to sit on the edge of the flat trailer with Tobey next to her. I went ahead and took the end spot, Leo wrapping his arm around my shoulders as we started moving. It was a bit bumpy, but such a fun ride as we admired the rows upon rows of evergreens.

"Are you looking for a big, medium, or small tree," I asked Leo.

"Probably whatever will fit in our living room," he lowly chuckled. "My mom brought the measurements with her, along with a ruler. Oh, and I made sure to bring the saw. You want to use it with me?" He looked over at me with a twinkle in his blue eyes that made me melt.

"Sure, but I'm not sure if I'll be strong enough. I have trouble cutting up food sometimes," I giggled.

"That's alright. I can help you, and it's just a saw that you push back and forth, nothing scary like an electric one."

I nodded as we finally came to a stop, the five of us heading off together.

"I wish I could get a tree too, but my mom always puts up an artificial one," Clementine shared.

"Yeah, my family waits awhile to get theirs. They usually go to the store or something," Tobey shrugged.

"What are your plans, Alyssa," Leo wondered, his voice going lower on my name and giving me chills.

"My parents usually us an artificial tree too. It's just easier and less messy. When I was little I was always stepping on loose pine needles," I winced. "It was hard to keep them all cleaned up with our carpet."

"Did you have the shaggy carpet," he guessed.

"Yeah, we still do," I slightly giggled.

"That kind is so soft. My mom and I had it in the old house. I liked lying on it and pretending it was grass."

I giggled softly again, loving our conversation about flooring.

"Hey, Leo," Irmelin called from a distance. "What do you think of this one?!"

Leo and I walked fast over to where she stood, checking out the decent tree.

"It's nice, but kind of skinny," Leo observed, licking his lips for a moment. I noticed they were starting to get a bit chapped as the cold air hit them.

"Yeah, I thought so too, but I always want to make sure we're both happy with our tree. That goes for you too, Alyssa. You're like part of the family now."

I blushed at her words, unable to describe the love filling my heart. I wasn't even married to Leo or anything, and Irmelin treated me like I was special.

"I think we should go with a more plump tree," I responded.

"So, in other words, you want a fat one," Leo quietly chuckled.