15- an understanding

Megumi's POV:

Darkness. Darkness is all I saw for what felt like an eternity. I guess it was significantly better than being tortured, but it still made me uneasy. Did I finally die?

No, that can't be right. I felt her— her warmth. I don't know how to explain it, but this place, wherever I am, feels different than it did before.

The darkness wasn't all that bad though, and it wasn't always dark. Sometimes scenarios popped up into the space in front of me. Some of them were old memories and others I didn't recognize. Perhaps those were days I had yet to live.

Sometimes, I heard random sounds around me. I heard people talking, beeps and sounds from machines, and even running water. One sound that irked me the most was soft crying. Occasionally I'd hear it. Maybe it wasn't actually quiet and that's all my brain allowed me to perceive, but it made me sad to hear.

I hope y/n is okay. I can feel her presence around me every now and then. It gives me hope, but also stress. As sorcerers we can't really afford to like each other in a more-than-friends way. I'm growing attached to her and it's dangerous. I hope she feels the same way about us, because whatever we have going on needs to stop now before something worse happens. 

———

"Y/n!" A voice yelled before pounding on your door. You rustled around in your sheets without responding. Whoever it is will go away soon.

"Y/n wake up!!" The voice yelled again. You groaned as you wiped the sleep from your eyes. Of course, one of the first nights you were able to fall asleep you had to be woken up early.

"What," you mumbled out. The person kept banging on your door. It was really starting to piss you off.

"You have to get up," the voice pleaded.

"Go away, dammit!" You shouted.

"I'm coming in," the voice sounded impatiently. Soon enough, your door opened to reveal a shaken-up Yuji.

"What're you doing?" You asked in annoyance. "I've finally been able to sleep and you wake me up. What could possibly be so important that you-"

"Would you please shut up." Itadori interrupted you. You were about to argue in protest but he stopped you, "he's awake."

"What?" You stammered.

"Fushiguro is awake."

Your jaw dropped and you swiftly tossed your sheets aside and ran towards the door. Yuji moved aside before following you. He had to admit, you looked ridiculous with no shoes, pajamas on and a nasty case of bed head. But you didn't care. Right now, it would be selfish of you to care.

Running down the halls, your socks made a "pitter patter" noise with each step you took. You were quickly approaching Shoko's when your foot slipped and you fell face first into the tile.

"Looks like someone was excited to see you," Gojo snickered from within the room. You propped yourself up on your forearms before standing up. Walking into the room, you noticed Gojo and Nanami sitting around Megumi's bed.

You furrowed your brows, "Shut up, Gojo." Yuji had now entered the room behind you, while a small stream of blood trickled from your nostrils. You wiped it off on the back of your hand.

"Itadori, thank you for waking her, you are free to go if you wish. Now, we can get started on informing Fushiguro on the events that occurred during the past few weeks," Nanami spoke in a professional manner.

It started with Megumi's perspective after the car crash. He told them about his mistake of not mentioning your dream and the shock he got from it.

As Megumi continued to explain things from his perspective, you began to zone out. You heard a few snippets about Gojo and Mahito, and a little bit about the beatings he took. You couldn't bare to listen anymore, so you didn't.

"—and that's when you had found him, right l/n?" You shot up, eyes darting over to Nanami before looking over at Megumi, who was nodding his head at you. He seemed to know that you weren't paying attention.

"Y-yeah. That's when I found him," you faltered.

Nanami hummed, "well, thank you all for joining us at this late hour of night, and thank you for cooperating. You are all free to go."

"Fushiguro needs to stay another day," Shoko interjected into the conversation. "We have to make sure he remains stable before releasing him."

Everyone nodded as they left the room, leaving you, Megumi, and Shoko.

"Make sure you clean up the place when you're finished with his IV," Shoko had spoken on her way out the door. You sighed, it seems you won't be returning to your bed any time soon.

The room was pretty quiet other than the noises you had made while cleaning the room. Conversation was kept to a minimum as you went through your mental check list of things to do. Finally, the last thing on your list was to change his IV.

"I'm gonna be honest, this always freaks me out so you might want to look away," you said while grabbing everything you needed before washing your hands.

"It freaks you out?" He had asked quietly. You nodded before gently pulling out the old IV.

"Ironically enough, I hate needles. Don't worry though, I've been changing your IV all week. I know what I'm doing."

Megumi hummed as he watched you prepare the area around his arm with an alcohol wipe before inserting a sterile IV. "You're right, that does kinda freak me out."

You smiled while throwing away the wipe and wrapper. The old needle went in a special bio-hazard bucket that got dumped every month.

"Hey, uh, I wanted to thank you for saving me in the alleyway," Megumi called out to you while you washed your hands again.

"You don't need to thank me, I'm just happy that you're safe," you looked down as you sat in a chair beside his bed. He reached out to grab your hand, but pulled away.

"Uh, Gojo told me you found me in a dream. Is that true?" He asked.

"Yeah, it was the exact same setting as the first one. I don't- I don't know how I did it, but I remember seeing you in the tank, and then all of a sudden you weren't and then I woke up. But I knew something was different... I don't know how to explain it but I just knew you were free, somewhere."

Megumi nodded before taking a deep breath. "Y/n, whatever is going on between us needs to stop,"

"W-What?"

"I-It's not you, I swear, but this couldn't have worked anyways. I can only imagine how worried you were when I disappeared and that's not fair to you. Sorcerers aren't meant to form meaningful relationships because their next day isn't always guaranteed. You deserve better than that," he said softly. A tear slid down your cheek.

"I understand," you sniffled while standing up.

"I'm really sorry y/n." Fushiguro spoke as you walked towards the door.

"I understand."

[word count: 1208]

edited :p