19- long time no see

Hours passed, and you had finally woken up. It turns out that Shoko had to put you under anesthesia earlier than she thought, seeing as your eyes would frantically move under the lights, making it hard to perform the operation. You didn't mind though, the thought of being awake during the whole thing freaked you out anyways.

When you woke, you saw that you were alone in the room. You hadn't a clue of the time, but you figured it was probably late morning. You wondered when Nanami would stop in, wanting him to see your spotted eyepatch. That was another thing, you had to manually look to the left to see from that side; no more wide peripheral vision.

Oh well.

You had also wondered if you were able to leave. Even though you knew you shouldn't, you couldn't help but want to. It's not like you could fall back asleep; Shoko was correct when she said the pain would be intolerable. However, she doesn't want you to take a lot of medicine to numb the pain, that could end up making it worse in the long run.

Eventually, you heard the shoes of someone walking down the hall. When they popped in the room, they saw you awake.

"Awake already huh?" Nanami asked. "I was in here only 40 minutes ago and you were snoring away like a baby."

You rolled your eyes, "Shut up. When will Shoko be in?"

"Later. She wanted me to tell you not to leave before she got back. Apparently there's something she needs to tell you. Said it wasn't too important but she figured you'd like to know."

"Ugh, but sitting here waiting is so~ boring," you whined. Nanami shook his head and sighed, almost as if he knew you would say that.

"Would you like to play cards?" He suggested.

"Not really to be honest. Am I allowed other visitors?"

"No."

You scoffed folding your arms across your chest and turning to face the other direction. "How come you're here then."

"I'm an exception," he stated. You tipped your head back on the pillow so you were facing the ceiling.

"Can I ask you something?" Nanami asked.

"Sure, beats sitting here in silence," you spoke, staring at the small cracks that were forming on the ceiling above you.

"What ever happened with you and Fushiguro? I thought you were close."

You visibly tensed before sitting back up. "There is no room for companionships in the busy life of a sorcerer. I had been warned and faced the consequence when Meg- Fushiguro almost died. Sorcerers don't form relations other than the ones necessary to complete missions. That's been made very clear to me."

"Yeah, but that's no way to live," Nanami spoke after a long silence. You turned to look up at him.

"But—"

"I know. I live a solitary life. Worked an office job where I was alone and now I'm back as a sorcerer where I continue working mostly alone. But sometimes, I regret it. Sometimes I wish I had a wife and kids to go home to when it gets rough." He paused and looked at you. "But you're young, I don't want you to make the wrong decisions and live a lonely life like I do."

"It wasn't my decision to make," you mumbled out. "He ended whatever we were when he was in the hospital. Hasn't batted an eye in my direction since if he didn't have to. But I get it, I really do."

Nanami stood during the conversation, and patted you on the back when it was over. He had said a quick goodbye after his phone vibrated, and left you alone once again.