17- diagnosis

"Wow you look like shit," Gojo laughed as you and Nanami returned to Jujustu High. You lifted your head up to look at the man and watched as his expression turned into something completely serious.

"Err, I'm sorry, l/n. I didn't realize that-"

"Just shut up, Gojo," Nanami complained. Gojo looked guilt ridden as he walked down the hall.

"Woah, l/n what happened to you?" Yuji asked as he placed his hands on your shoulders.

You felt a headache forming behind your forehead, "Cat got me."

Yuji's blank stare made a smile form on your lips, something you didn't know you needed. "I'm kidding, a curse got me."

Staring at your bloodied eye, he gave you a hug. "You should probably clean yourself up."

"Yeah, that's probably for the best," you said as you made your way into your room.

Nanami sighed, not wanting to fill out the necessary paperwork for what had happened at the moment. He walked back down to his office feeling guilty. You were barely a grade three sorcerer and he made you fight against a first grade.

"Stupid," he muttered out as he walked through the door. Nanami knew that there were certain conditions that came with being a sorcerer; one of them knowing that getting hurt is inevitable. Yet he still wished he had fought you himself, or had someone else fight you so it would be low risk.

As Nanami questioned his decisions, you got a shower to wash all the blood away. While in the shower, you forced yourself to open you left eye under the running water. The direct pressure hurt a lot, but at least it wouldn't be bloody anymore.

Once you were cleaned up and dressed, you decided to see Shoko for professional treatment.

"Shoko?" You called out as you walked into her office. Despite the trauma caused to your eye shaking you up a bit, you were relatively okay.

"L/n? What brings you in here? Nanami told me you were going on a mission-" she paused when she got a good look at you. Her face shifted between confusion, sorrow, and shock.

"Um, c-can you fix my eye?" You whispered out. She cupped your face as she stared into your pupil, which had been heavily distorted. She sighed.

"Does it hurt?"

"Not really but it's damn uncomfortable."

"How is your vision," she covered your right eye.

"Blurry and spotty."

She hummed, "and what exactly happened to your eye?"

You shifted your weight from each leg as you stood in the center of the room, "I was slashed with talons. You can probably see the scars, I was really distracted..."

"Ah, makes sense. Trauma, blurry vision, little pain," Shoko mumbled to herself. "I believe what you have is a small tear in your pupil." (Feel free to google, not terribly graphic but I didn't just want to throw it in here :))

"What does that mean for me?" You questioned while she gathered some paperwork from a filing cabinet.

"Well, it's mostly caused by trauma. Sometimes treatment isn't necessary, but I recommend laser treatment surgery to fix your vision. The color however, will not return. I'm actually rather shocked that the e/c disappeared from your eye and was replaced with gray. Perhaps it's from the use of cursed energy..." she mumbled the last sentence to herself.

You stood with you mouth agape, "Can we even do laser treatment here?"

"Yes. Even though we have only performed it once before, we have everything needed to complete a successful surgery on your eye," she assured.

You nodded slowly as your mind began to process everything that was happening.

"How soon can we do it?"

"Well, it will take a few days to get approval since it isn't urgent, and another few days to get everything set up. Expect the surgery sometime next week."

"Okay," you thanked her and headed towards the exit.

"One more thing, avoid any harsh light. This could irritate your eye further and cause more damage. Also, you could start your search for fabric to be made into an eyepatch. You'll have to wear one after surgery, so you might as well make it unique, kay?"

Nodding, you left the office and headed in the direction of the common room. You kept your head down in attempt to shield your eyes from the bright overhead lights that illuminated the hallways.

As you emerged from the hallway, you noticed a few people cease their conversations to stare at you. Maki, Panda, and Itadori were playing UNO while Fushiguro watched. He had seen you when you first walked in; all bloodied and bruised. Honestly, his heart broke for you. Seeing you all beaten up like that upset him. He desperately wanted to confront you, maybe even give you a hug, but he decided it was best if he kept his distance. So he forced himself to look away.

"L/n! What happened to you?" Panda bellowed throughout the room. No doubt everyone heard him.

"I have a torn pupil," you quietly answered while you sat down beside Yuji. He gave you a week smile. Honestly he had no clue what that meant, but he knew that it wasn't the time to ask.

Maki however, wasn't picking up on the atmosphere, "So what does that mean?"

"I need laser surgery to fix it," you mumbled as your cheek pressed into Yuji's shoulder. You heard a few gasps, but one outmatched the others.

Your tired eyes looked up to be met with sad ones. Looking at Fushiguro's stoic expression, it almost seemed like he was concerned. However, the incident had ended as quickly as it begun. Fushiguro looked away from you and back to the forgotten game of UNO. He noticed how close you were to Itadori and his heart sank a little, wishing that it was him you were leaning on.

"Aw man, I'm sorry to hear that l/n," Panda's volume level had dropped significantly. You shrugged at him and felt a hand on your back. Yuji's thumb gently rubbed up and down your spine and you found the motion quite calming. After sitting with him for another 5 minutes, you decided that you needed a nap.

"I'll see you guys later, if you need me I'll be sleeping," you declared as you left the common area, making your way to your dorm.

In all honesty, you liked being within Itadori's embrace a little more than you probably should have. The comfort was nice and it had calmed you down. Yet, there was still one piece to your puzzle that had not been filled in, and Yuji did not fit into place.

[word count: 1148]

I love it when I don't need to edit much. Sleep deprived me did not come to play when originally writing this lmao

I did research for this chapter lmao. Also, it might be lacking in quality a small bit I wrote this at like 2am on the way to the beach.