28- i love you

The month of June had rolled in quickly that year, officially naming you a Jujustu High second year.

On the first Thursday of Summer, Megumi had asked you on a date.

"He said I don't need to do anything in preparation, but I feel bad bringing absolutely nothing. What girlfriend would I be if I let him do the work all the time?" You flopped down on your bed with a groan while Yuji spun relentlessly on your desk chair.

"I get it, you feel bad just standing around doing nothing. But he wants to do all of this for you. I don't think he minds having to prepare everything. Besides, you can do the same thing on another date you go on in the future."

You hummed. "Thanks Yuji. I wonder what we'll be doing today anyways."

Itadori stopped spinning on your chair, and held his head up straight as if it would twist around and around if he didn't. "Probably some cheesy couple's thing. I dunno."

"Hey! I'm sure it won't be that cheesy. And cheesy isn't always bad, right?"

Yuji hummed suggestively.

"Hey now, have a little faith in me," Megumi interjected from the doorway.

You giggled before giving him a hug. "Time to head out Yuji, see you later!"

He smiled before following you out the door and then turning the opposite way of you and Megumi. Megumi had a backpack on his pack.

"So~, what are we doing today?" You asked. He grabbed for your hand and led you out of the building.

"You'll see," he smirked.

"Ugh," you groaned. Megumi only laughed in response.

"I think you'll like it. I've been thinking it over for awhile now."

"Aw, how sweet."

The two of you approached an empty field not too far away from the school. The walk there with him was comforting. Occasionally he would bump your shoulder as you walked, but you bumped him back. It was fun.

The field itself was rather small, but it seemed private. There were a few small trees around the edges, and occasional shrubbery sprinkled throughout the place. Wildflowers were everywhere, but they weren't overbearing. Your favorites were the bright ones that barely reached your ankles.

"How did you find this place?" You asked, still taking in the gorgeous view.

"Well, I sent Nue for a little field trip— literally, and when he found this one I took Divine Dog with me to check it out," he set his bag on the ground and pulled out a blanket from within it.

"Wow," you were in awe. "Do you need help?"

"Nope. Sit."

You did as you were told and watched as he got a small lunchbox from his bag. He pulled out some snacks, a few drinks, and your favorite meal.

You smiled at his efforts. "Thank you Megumi, this is so sweet of you."

"Well, you deserve it, so," he trailed off while unwrapping utensils from a napkin. The two of you ate and shared small (but nice) conversation. The meal he had made for you was delicious.

Humming happily, you laid back on the blanket he had set out for the two of you to sit on. "I could lay here for hours."

He sprawled out beside you before lifting his head onto your shoulder. You gave his forehead a quick kiss, then you ruffled his hair with your fingers.

"Y/n?" You felt his breath on your chest.

"Yeah?"

"There's something I've been meaning to tell you," he sat up, and looked forward.

You followed suit, "What is it?"

He exhaled and thumbed through individual blades of grass the stuck up beside the blanket. "Gojo is leaving Tokyo for awhile. He plans to head north and he wants me to come with him."

Your jaw dropped.

"I told him I would go. I'm supposed to leave tomorrow. I'm sorry that it had to be this soon."

"Tell me I've been lied to," you buried your face in your hands. Megumi scooted closer to you, allowing you to rest your head on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry-" he tried.

"What the hell did I do?" You whispered, trying not to cry.

Megumi's POV:

"What the hell did I do?" She whispered.

I looked at her hands while she tried to claw at her own fingertips. Her breathing was heavy. I hope she's not crying.

"Nothing, I promise. But you have to understand it's an offer I can't refuse."

She sniffled. She began to cry— which is strange. Y/n usually handled things pretty well, but she didn't say anything after that. I grabbed her hands but she began picking at my fingernails. I let her.

"I guess this is a bad time to tell you that I love you." The words effortlessly rolled off of her tongue and my eyes widened. I think I flinched.

"W-What?"

"I love you," y/n muttered. I internally panicked.

Then, she chuckled to herself. Good, she was just trying to make me laugh. There is no way she could love me. Not after I told her I was leaving Tokyo.

"Well, based on your reaction I take it that you don't love me back," she assumed. She was wrong. I do love her.

"I'm leaving." I repeated.

"I love you." Touché.

With a sigh, I pulled her in closer to me. "I didn't mean to make you cry, I just wanted to spend one last day with you."

She didn't respond.

"I just—" I paused, "Why me? I'm literally leaving tomorrow morning, I avoided you for months! I'm a jerk-"

"There's nothing you could do or say, I can't escape the way I love you," she whispered softly.

I exhaled before kissing the top of her head,

"I love you too."

[word count: 971]

ebited

2 chaps left :)