Chapter 33

I walk defeated downstairs as Georgia stays with Romeo to watch him until I get back. I walk down the stairs with my heart pounding hard as I hear the sounds coming from downstairs. I know Josh is still mad at me, if I were in his shoes I would still be mad too. Scared, I walk down the last flight of stairs, where I hear the voices getting closer and closer.

Until I take the first step into the entrance hall and come face to face with Remco. He looks even more handsome than he did a year ago, on the last day we had seen each other. His black hair was even longer than it was then, which now hangs in front of his eyes, causing him to rub it out of his face and start staring at me even more. I feel so uncomfortable with his stares. Uncertainly, I walk past him, knowing he is still watching. Have I changed that much? I had become a mother then, though not much else seemed to change.

In the dining room, mom is already at her regular seat next to Josh and dad taking a seat over Josh and slides the chair next to him back. Like a good obedient daughter, I sit down next to my father, over my mother. When I drop my eyes to Josh, he looks at me hatefully, which they must have noticed.

"Mother, I thought she didn't come out of her room?" Asked Josh to my mother, hatefully looking at me. Mother was already annoyed that the conversation is not about her, so she let my father answer in her place. "Josh, your sister is also welcome at our table," said my father in his father's voice, causing Josh to be quiet and begin to stir into the food on his plate.

Remco sits as usual on the other side of Josh over an empty chair, also looking at his plate bored. Mother leaves him cold and just pretends he's not there, though I'm surprised when my father says something to him, "Remco, what are you up to?" Asks my father, interested, which makes the three of us look at my father in surprise.

"School and sports mostly," says Remco from Josh staring at my dad, unsure why he can't just be ignored like usual. "Any other interests besides sports?" Asks my dad much more sternly now, it's like he's interrogating him.

With a frightened heart, I tap on my father's shoulder, causing Josh and Remco to look at me as well. Josh suddenly stands up on the table, angry, "You told our goddamned father!" He yells all frantic in the dining room, which is now becoming mouse quiet.

Even their mother is now gaping at Josh for his behavior. "What did she tell me, Josh?" Asks my father curiously, but also clearly annoyed to the point of evil. Mother looks at father like he should shut up.

Does everyone know! I never said anything, how on earth are they supposed to know what's going on. "Josh, sorry I let it slip that you couldn't handle my disorder anymore," I tell him, which doesn't make any sense because my father didn't mean that at all.

"I'll just go," says Remco, who clearly feels attacked as happens almost every time, and then retreats. Although now our father is not served by that for the first time, "no stay Remco," says my father commanding pointing at Remco and his chair.

Remco is wobbling on his chair and I can see his long thin fingers nervously strumming the table. I can already see in my mind's eye how he moves his long legs from one to the other when he is nervous. I myself can barely get a bite through my throat now, too. Not only that, but I wish I hadn't put on a turtleneck, which is now itching hard at my neck. Pulling, I try to stretch the turtleneck of my sweater to breathe. Even the skinny jeans I was wearing had become so tight that it was uncomfortable.

"Father, may I leave the table. I'm not feeling so well?" I ask my father as I look to his side, though his gaze is still on Remco. Father holds my hand that is on the table and stays with his gaze focused on the other side of the table as he answers. "No Maxine, you go eat first," says my father sternly, causing me to take my fork back and take the next bite, "If she wants to leave just let her go, dear." Brings out my mother in her ant-sweet voice to calm him down, which is usually successful.

He just doesn't want to know about it and just continued to ignore my mother. "Are you going to answer? I asked you something!" Brings out me, dad, pointing at Remco with my hand still in his.

"I have a job off-campus as a server," Remco replies quietly and nervously. He's resting his gaze on me now as well, not as angry as Josh, but not really happy either. Mother stands up to clear the plates, so to speak, which once again leaves us surprised by my father's behavior. "Leave it and go paint your nails or whatever it is you do," says my father to my mother, who never spoke to my mother or did anything but disrespect her.

"You know Nicole does my nails!" she yells annoyed but walks out of the room anyway, tired of having to listen to this conversation now that it is no longer interesting to her. "You don't have to answer to my father at all, Remco. He's in a bad mood again," Says Josh, directing his gaze to Remco who is sitting next to him.

My brother in contrast to Remco has had his light brown hair cut shorter than he can gel his hair and has therefore laid it tangled, which looks good on him. He also looks like he has been doing some sport this year, as his normal shirts are much looser and don't bunch up around his body. He is already much more muscular than the thin man he used to be.

My father stands up, looking at the two men, causing him to button up his tailored suit first and then place his hands on the table. "Do you harass innocent girls there too?" Asks my father straight to Remco, causing me to look at him as if he has now gone completely mad.

"Father, what do you mean? You shouldn't believe what Maxime says. She's just a liar!" Yells my brother, pointing at me, making me want to crawl under the table.

When I want to slide my chair back to go upstairs, "Sit, Maxine!" Calls father, causing me to drop back into the chair with my arms on the table where I lay my head in shame. "So he didn't have sex with my daughter!" Calls father with his fist that was on the table earlier, knocking on the table, making the whole table thunder. Which does make me lift my head and look Remco straight in his deep blue eyes.