Chapter 35

Remco pov

I clearly hear a baby crying, but how? I turn around to roll further to the side of the bed until I see a crib, which clearly has a baby in it. A baby, goddamn it! How did she manage to keep this quiet! Why did she never say anything about him? Then comes the thought of what I had said to her the other day, it was only physical. Goddamn, how could I have been so naive and caused her such pain, now I understand her father with the sentence that she suffered more than us.

I look at the little bundle in the crib a little more closely and see that it is a little boy with black hair, just like my black hair? Or Tristan's? Would she have done anything else with him? Did they do it unsafely? My appetite for sex, of course, completely disappeared with this discovery. Why did she never say anything? Was she so hurt by my words, which I didn't mean at all.

"Why didn't you say anything, Max? I could have helped you. Even if it's from Tristan, I still would have been there for you," she looks at me hurt and angry. What had I done wrong now? I just thought I sounded like a good friend wanting to help her.

"Don't you get it yet, Remco! I was in love with you, and you hurt me with those words that I have never forgotten. To me, it was more physical and then again, Josh had thrown me out of the house and his life! You knew where I was, you could have easily come yourself," she told me, with a reproachful undertone that I deserved.

Indeed, I could have taken the initiative myself. How could she not actually understand how hard it was for me? I had Josh, who blamed me for everything and ignored me for days. Nor would her parents have just let me into the house when I asked to see her.

"Sorry, Max. That was insensitive of me to make you think those things, even though it was more than physical for me too," I say apologetically putting my clothes back on at the same time.

"I forgive you, Remco. I know how Josh can be, but you would have done it to yourself too," She tells me, getting dressed again and looking from the baby to me.

She was right. I'm the one who couldn't choose or know what he wanted and still haven't quite figured it out, only I know I want more than Josh alone. Maybe Josh wasn't the right guy for me? Never had I thought about it like that, but Maxine was right.

I had to find my own first and give time to process all this. "What's his name?" I ask Max. Who now has him in her arms. "Romeo, he's 2 months old now," she says as she sits down with the baby and puts her top back, half exposed to her chest.

Staring, I can't help but watch in fascination as she, with those beautiful breasts of hers, feeds her baby. She is so beautiful and the little baby clearly enjoys her presence, they are so close to each other that it makes me warm inside. "Does Tristan know?" I ask her, pointing to Romeo. She looks at me like I'm crazy. So is it so weird to notify the father?

"No," She says gruffly, and a tad annoyed as she looks at her baby again. I almost feel like an intruder for disturbing this moment between them. He is a very beautiful baby, just as she is.

"I have to go and try to calm your brother down before he gets into your hair again," I tell her before I try to step out the door.

"Please don't say anything to Josh about the baby?" She asks me with her beautiful green eyes that look so much like Josh's eyes in mine.

"No," I answer her, before sneaking back out of the house and heading home on foot.

Arriving back at the apartment, I step inside with the key hidden in my pocket. As I step inside, I see Josh in the couch waiting for me, "where were you?" He asks me in an angry tone, still not cooled down from dinner at his house.

"I had to think, Josh, you really did ugly at dinner. What was the need to attack your sister like that?" I ask him, no longer holding back as I have for months. Josh has always been jealous, though worse than before.

Before I cheated with Max, things weren't so bad, and he trusted me a little, but now. He was just really paranoid. "Are you really defending your mistress to me!" he shouts, walking towards me angrily.

"No, Josh, she's your sister! I'm defending her! This between us has really been getting out of hand lately and if you don't start trusting me, our relationship ends here!" I clearly let him know my position.

Josh comes up to me and puts his head against my shoulder, crying because I'm going to leave him. He can play me like that when the guitar lessons if he's still taking.

Though, not everything goes away with crying. He's taller than me and I have to lift my head up to say something to him in his eyes, "Josh, I don't want you to fight with Max anymore. You were always so close, and this event shouldn't ruin that between you. I was just as right as wrong," he looks at me and dries his tears on the sleeve of his blue sweater.

"Do you promise me that you will never start anything with her again?" This is the second time he's asked me this and at first I could say yes with certainty too, though now I'm not so sure whether that's what I want.