Chapter 38

I go upstairs after I had talked to my father in his office, about maybe resuming my studies after all. When I get to my room, I hear voices through the door and when I open it, I see my mom standing there with my son in her arms.

I hear her whispering all sorts of things to him and especially the word Josh falling which gives me the creeps. "Mom?" I ask her, silencing me, "quiet Maxine, Josh is sleeping, "She tells me, causing chills to cover my arms full of bumps. I walk out of my room, where I yell down the hallway to dad, who had to have heard because I had never yelled so loud in my life.

"Where is the fire, Maxine?" Asks my father looking around in ignorance. "Come quickly! Mother has lost her mind and I'm afraid," I tell him, causing him to run directly upstairs,

"What is she doing now? He asks, causing me to open the door and he is immediately startled to see my mother in the rocking chair that my father had brought as a gift a few months ago. "John, you should see how big our little boy is getting," says mother looking at father, since she doesn't even notice he's older.

"Do you understand me now?" I ask my father, who nodded still too shocked at his wife sitting in the rocking chair cuddling and rocking the baby to sleep. Father thought back to the old days and how happy he was with his wife. I can read from his face that this is the woman he loved.

He goes over to her, trying to explain that Josh needs to sleep, and laid him back in his crib. I watch the moment between them, where my mother looks into his eyes with such love that it feels like I am violating their privacy.

I close the door and release a sigh. I hear the bell and walk downstairs, where I get to the door first and see Remco standing there angry.

"Did you know about Josh and your ex-boyfriend!" Yells he hurt at me. "Not for a long time Remco. It's none of my business even," I tell him as I clear the door so he can go inside the salon. He takes a seat over me and continues, "You don't want to know who the father of your child is hanging out with?" He asks with a snarl, making me feel somewhat attacked.

"If Tristan was the father, maybe," I say. I look at him hoping that he has finally figured out what I mean. He looks at me for a second before it falls to him, "He's mine eh?" Asks Remco in a quiet voice so that it would only be barely heard.

"Yes," I say looking at my hands, guilty. He comes and sits in front of me on his knees holding my head up so that I did have to look into those two pools of blue.

"Maxine, why didn't you say that right away?" He asks me before kissing my lips and I let him have his way as he sensually enters his tongue into mine. We continue like this for a while, until my father's voice rasps angrily.

"How dare you kiss my daughter here in my house again! There you have the door!" Yells my father angrily, pointing to the exit.

"John, you've made me feel bad here long enough because I had a thing with your son and now that I'm here to conquer your daughter back, you throw me out again," says Remco. Though, all I heard was I'm here to conquer your daughter back.

Shyly I look at him still in those eyes, still sitting in front of me saying the most beautiful words I always hoped to hear. "If you think my daughter still believes in your smooth talk, you are certainly naive."

"Father, he never told me anything. I knew what we had was an affair from the beginning, only now it falls on me that he never promised me anything." My father is still not convinced if he is being honest about his feelings, "Remco, are you sure this is what you want? If you hurt my daughter one more time," Says my father who is interrupted by Remco, "Yes sir! I am sure, and I want to go for us and our son."

My father looks at us before sighing and walking into the hallway. In the hallway I hear him talking to my mother, "come we go to sleep Brianna, tomorrow is another long then," She nodded and grabs his hand, walking together to the east wing where before was their shared room. Father was happy, I could tell by his smile when my mother grabbed his hand. Now it's my time, "What do you mean? Conquer me back?" I ask Remco who grabs me in his arms, "You were always the one for me even though I didn't want to see it. I loved your brother, but those feelings for you were stronger from the moment you walked into the apartment."

Am I hearing right! Did he have feelings for me back then? I never noticed anything about it. I think the relationship between my brother and Remco was always perfect. Remco is still staring at me as I walk out of the room, turning around to take me in properly, "Can I come upstairs with you? To our son?"

"Yes, I wouldn't prefer it," I tell him with my cheeks turned all red from his question.

I look at him, at the black hair, he is pulling out of his eyes, which looks so much like Romeo's. In those blue eyes, I can dream away just as much as I can with our son.

I kiss him before he walks with me upstairs. To our son, who is waiting for us in my room. On the stairs up Remco still stops me whispering in my ear, "I love you Maxine Dewaluwe."