Who's Your Master

"Is everything ready?"

"Yes ma'am, we've got the elves posted on the Northside of the town. The trolls are patrolling the south. The vampires are at the main entrance"

I nod while tightening my strap to my knife holster on my leg.

"And the traps? They work?"

"The traps are fully functional, but we have a sniper posted on the roof and the nymphs are watching the woods. No one is getting in or out"

"Perfect, keep your men in line and safe. We can't afford to lose anyone else"

Ladies and Gentlemen, life has given me a lemon. And as the saying goes, I'm about to make lemonade.

Currently, we are stationed outside the small town of Hummelberry. Hummelberry is a town with a population of 3,000, or at least it was supposed to be. Felix says that a crux was placed around the whole town before they all disappeared. Grandmother thinks otherwise, she believes that dark magic was used and with James' sudden appearance, I think so too.

The wind is icy against my skin as I zip up my jacket over my armor. I run my hands over the various knives, many of them enchanted or cursed.

"You ready?" Felix calls from behind me.

I slip the small concealable knife into my boot and turn towards Felix.

No longer in a large baggy suit, he wears a black turtle neck with his black vest and cargo pants with his laced-up combat boots. His gloves on the other hand were a deep purple and maroon color.

I scrunch my eyebrows in confusion and point to his gloves getting ready to recite his speech on the importance of proper combat gear and its color.

He held up his hand with a long sigh.

"Magic got them for me and insisted I wear them today"

"You do know she's not here right?" I chuckle.

"I promised her that I would and I'm a man of my word. Plus she'll be able to tell. Bloody good sense of smell that one"

I chuckled shaking my head once again.

"You on the other hand look ready"

My curly hair is slicked back into a tight bun at the back of my head along with the thousands of needle-like hairpins laced with magical properties. Some are even filled with poison. My attire, much like Felix's, is all black. My armor on the other hand was handcrafted with dragon's gold and enchanted by the elders in the elven village with ancient magic. To match, grandmother gave me one of her old jackets from her earlier days in the resistance. It's all black and sleek zipping up at the neck with a corset cinching in my waist and providing extra protection for my organs. Simple black cargo pants for movement and the best part of it all, the shoes. All black chunky metal-tipped lace-up boots with a knife compartment on the inside.

"I'm as ready as I'll ever be"

A stiffening silence follows and I look over at Felix.

"What?"

He gives a conflicted grunt and opens his mouth in hesitation. I raise my eyebrow. He sighs as a serious expression graces his gentle face.

"Are you going to kill him?"

I look away and over at everyone busily getting ready. I spot two women, elves. One straps the quill of arrows onto the other's back before turning her around and looking into her eyes. She says something I can't hear, but I didn't need to... I could feel it.