♕23♕

"No one can confidently say that he will still be living tomorrow."

-Euripides

"It's all clear, we can make another scrimmage for supplies. We really don't need clothes anymore; highly unnecessary. But, we need the free space in our bags for survival gear." I announced as we all stood on the side of an abandoned road. I grabbed my backpack and tightened the straps so it wouldn't slip off.

Hayes appeared beside me, taking my right hand and placing the red axe in my hand. I looked up from the axe and up into his blue eyes in question. I had a gun, and he knew that.

"I can't risk you getting taken down. We stick together." He slipped his right hand into my left which sent tingles and sparks flying around in my stomach. My heart pacing faster than usual. The world may have changed and gone to hell, but my love for Hayes didn't change or go away.

"What are you gonna use to defend yourself?" I asked him.

He snickered. "You." Typical Hayes. Always looking for ways to be a smartass. But that's one quality that I admire.

"Alright, lets stay together people, we are most definitely not going to let someone die. Not again! We stick together, back to back." Cameron suggested in a leadership tone of voice. But he was right. If we weren't protecting each other from each corner of the group, we would go down in a matter of minutes.

Cameron started to walk off but Lexi opened her big mouth. "Wait." She whisper shouted. Everyone turned around, looking at Lexi who was just a few feet ahead of Hayes and I. But instead of looking at Lexi, they looked past her. Their eyes suddenly dropping to our linked hands.

I instantly dropped it once Lexi started to speak."There are too many of us, I suggest at least three to four of us stay here. Like you said, Cam. We can't risk losing another friend."

"I agree," Hayes nodded."It does sound pretty efficient."

"Since when do you use words like efficient?" Nash chuckled, whipping his hair out of his eyes. Hayes shrugged, but Cameron nodded in agreement, still looking at Hayes and I even though he had been listening to Lexi,

"Nash, Taylor, Dillon. Come with me. The rest of you, stay here." Cameron announced.

"What? No! That's not what was suppose to happen!" I shouted. I didn't care how many walkers in the woods would hear me, I wanted to fight and I wanted to explore.

"Naulie, after what happened last night, I can't risk you getting hurt or lost. This is Atlanta."

"You've sent me out on a search with the two most dumbest people in this group, and you're worried about me not being safe," I looked at Taylor and Dillion. "No offense."

They both shrugged, shaking it off.

"Naulie." Cameron said in a stern voice.

"Cameron, I'm going. I'm smarter than you right now. And without me, the three of you will die."

"You're not going anywhere!"

"Then I'm coming!" I hollered back

"Naulie, just listen-" Hayes started to talk but I cut him off by pushing the axe into his arms and pushing past everyone to get back to the cars. I swung the door opened and grabbed one of the sheriff shotguns, wrapping the strap around my neck. 

I slammed the door shut and started sprinting off towards the city. Camerin called out to me, along with the others, but I ignored them. As long as they stayed here, then I would have no problem returning back safely. I came up to a miniature swarm of walkers, and once they turned around and stood dumbstruck for a second before they started shuffling towards me, realizing I was dinner being placed right on the table. I knew that it would be immature of me to fire my gun, so I had realized that I had a knife stored in my right combat boot.

Drawing back my arm, I drove the sharp piece of metal into the walkers skull. Blood oozed from it's head, but I couldn't manage to pull it out, seems as if I drove it in too hard. I lost balance and fell back, with the dead corpse on top of me. The other one got down on its knees and reached for me. I finally pulled the knife out and lunged the knife into the others head with a loud grunt. It fell on top of the one that was already on me.

My head fell back into the Earths ground in exhaustion. I kicked and pushed the dead bodies off of me, and stood back up. Blood covered my chest and dripped down into my tank top and bra. I exhaled deeply out of my mouth and continued to stroll through the woods.

My combat boots tapped loudly on the bare ground and snapped the twigs loudly when I came across them. Not to my surprise, another swarm was just near by. But only they were feeding. Blood oozing, staining their dead skin with long fingernails. I gagged at the sight. It was okay to see it in books and movies, because it was fake, it was props. They were eating real guts, a real person, spilling real blood.

I quickly, but silently, ran past them. Hiding by trees and dodgin pricker bushes. I thought about how I was gonna get passed that swarm. They would surely see me. The ones that were trying to feed, would surely, positively, try to get me. And all I had was an axe. Take it, or leave it, the voice in my head said.

I peeked past the three I was hiding behind once more to see any progress or default. I studied the monsters and their acts, and realized there was a handgun at least twenty feet ahead. I was about to go for it, putting one foot out, but it also came to mind that it might be empty. Why would the person get taken down with a fully loaded gun? 

I tightened my backpack more and made a run for it, quickly grabbing the gun as a walker saw me by chance and swatted at me face. It scared me, I had bugged my eyes largely as I gasped at that moment. Running past the swarm towards the hills, I pushed past the trees and hurdled fallen trees. Soon enough I came up to a fence.

Being the girl I am, I stopped. I stopped to look up the fence and to only look back at the swarm that was coming in hot. I took off my bag and swung it over the fence. Before it landed, I leaped up the fence and started climbing.

Once I reached the top of the fence, I swung my legs over and started climbing down. But I stopped because they were latching onto the fence, reaching up to me, and shoving their fists through the tiny holes.

Looking down, I saw how high I was off of the ground. It was a long way down, but I think I could manage. I looked straight ahead, couldn't even see the road I had ran away from. I took a deep breath and a leap of faith. Jumping down, I landed on my feet with a giant squat, rocking back onto my back.

"Shit." I cursed through my gritted teeth. The walkers shook and rattled the fence as they snarled and growled. I stood up and grabbed my bag, putting it on and latching onto my gun. I ran. It didn't surprise me that I came in contact with astray walkers. But I was already shaken up enough.

"Oh, god dammit."

"It's alright, don't be afraid Naulie. Just aim, and fire." Daddy explained to me. I was about seven-years-old, two years before he left us. Aiming the gun at the glass budlight beer bottle across the yard, I pulled the trigger. Miss. Not even a knick.

"Concentrate. Don't lose focus." I clicked the peg down with my thumb and aimed once more. Miss.

"Open both eyes. Aiming with one eyes throws the target off." I opened both of my brown eyes, seeing two of the beer bottles, and not knowing which one to hit. But I aimed again. Fire. Shatter.

I grinned in joy and brought the gun down.

"See? Easy." He chuckled. "Maybe all of this sharp shootin' will do great when your fictional dead people strike the earth."

"Funny, daddy." I giggled.

Bang. Bang. Bang. Boom. All three down and dead. I smirked at my affections and ran around the dead corpses. When I tour, I make sure I pay attention to the road signs and destinations, and all of the city stuff. Just in downtown Atlanta, there was a mall. About a five, or possibly more, minute walk from where I currently am.

I came up to a road that was empty. Silence. My legs carried my North, towards Atlanta.

'You need to be safe, Naulie. I can't risk it.' Cameron's voice echoed in my head. 'You're not going anywhere!'

"Yeah, well, watch me." I breathed out.