Prolouge

"No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new."

~ Steve Jobs

"Give up! If you don't. . . we're coming in!"

I held the gun close to my chest with both hands latched onto it, ready to do anything that was obligatory. I stood at my post with my partner, we were defending what we had worked so hard for. It was our home. My partner and I scrutinized each other, but turned our attention back to the man who wanted to take over what was rightfully ours.

"I'm afraid we can't do that!" One of my friends hollered. He was located across the field from where I was. The leader of the antagonist group took a few steps forward, and at that moment every gun that we had assigned to a person, was cocked, loaded, and ready to fire.

He stopped in his tracks and gazed around the area. Eventually, his eyes locked on mine and it was an incompatible stare. I could feel his eyes burn down into my soul and he showed no mercy for what we had done. Especially what I had to undertake.

It was silent for a moment. The moaning of the dead at the wired fences made it impossible to concentrate on what the leader might wish to accomplish next.

But it was too late. My partner screamed in agony and that was the cue to start firing. I aimed and tried to shoot down the ones who were closest.

This world was filled with madness and jealousy, one big living nightmare. Our fences soon went down, and the dead strolled in and everyone was dying. The ones who did survive, were left to suffer with the memories of the ones they lost previously or momentarily.

You kill and you die, or you die and you kill.