hiinako

[see, my first set of iz*one ships used to be kangbi, chaekura, yulyen, 2kim, annyeongz, aaand u guessed it, hiinako !! ive never written them b4 so nows my chance ig]

[requested by: theory2468 anddd they requested 'lots of pining' so yk ya boi gon be sentimental as sh]

[of cupcakes and confessions]

Hitomi smelled like cupcakes.

She found a chapstick she liked in seventh grade and ever since then, she decided it would be her favorite scent.

Yabuki Nako came to love the smell as soon as it reached her nostrils.

Young and bumbling and confused in middle school, Nako loved the smell secretly. She only ever got the briefest whiffs of the scent, only when she got close enough to smell it. 

She didn't quite understand why yet, wasn't even old enough to question it, but the sugary sweet smell made her head swim. 

She loved being that close to her best friend, loved how they spent their sleepovers huddled up together in Hitomi's small bed, their fingers intertwined and hair overlapping. 

Those nights under the blanket when their breaths mingled together, with their noses brushing ever so slightly.

Nights that made Nako's heart race, when she first thought about what it would be like to tilt her chin forward, see what Hitomi's lips felt like, as the cool sheets and air conditioning sent chills over her burning skin.

____

As they started high school, they still shared Hitomi's bed on Friday nights.

Their noses no longer bumped together, while their fingers only twisted together when comfort was called for. 

Nako tried and tried to bring up that big topic that kept messing with her head, but the smell of cupcakes and pure sugar would muddle her mind every time she got closer.

The fear of never being close enough to smell those cupcakes again kept her words choked in her throat. 

It was faint enough as it was, and always getting fainter.