VIII

They lead me to my room, and I see the head maid smirking at me. I laugh mentally.

-Father? What's the matter?

-the head maid has seen an interesting thing in your room, and she's willing to show you.

-well... I don't think there is something out of the ordinary in my room? Let me see too.

-you dare?! You stole from the treasure room and yet DARE to act innocent.

The servants all around were whispering and gasping.

We are not in a Chinese manhua, why are we having all those shitty framing plots and all.

-okay? Where are they then?

-hmph! Let see if you'll still keep that confident attitude.

She leads us to the balcony and show us the secret space in the wall.

-just open it and don't waste our time.

Well said Sperm donor. You said something useful for once.

She open it and nothing. She take out a few of the jewelry (that are mine to begin with, that i purposely put there) and my diary.

-see? She even put a book(?) It's probably some antique book or something.

-uhm... I don't want to interrupt, I'm the one in charge of managing the lady's belongings and those are all hers... and that book is just a normal diary.

Well said Rosa.

-so you wasted all that time for nothing?

-And the way you tried to frame me really makes you the most suspicious in this room! Father she's the one that stole the jewelry, it's obvious. And she said it herself yesterday!

-she will be punished for trying to frame you, but there is no proof about her, being a robber.

Someone enters the room with a recording device.

-Your grace! Look at what I found while cleaning!

Perfect timing.

-please hear this!

"-what might Miss Hertha need?

-I know that you're the one that stole the jewelry.

*head maid chuckling*

-and what were you doing yesterday in the treasure room? Who would think that I am the one that stole the jewelry when everyone saw you there? Just because you had a bat and a script prepared doesn't mean that you won."

-oh! It's the conversation I had with her yesterday! Who might have recorded it?! Wait, it's probably Sabo! He's the only one that I saw with such a machine!

It's probably a good thing if I give him some of the credits... he might not hate me anymore.

-That boy is useful for once.. Drag that woman into prison, we don't even need to go into trial. Make sure to strip her from her title of baroness. Confiscate all of her belongings and cut her wrists.

And only the maids that clean my room were left to.. well, clean my room.

I take the paper sheet and I run towards the Duke.

-Father! Look what I've wrote for you!

He pats my head and takes the paper.

-That's a good idea Hertha, that might take a burden off my shoulders, you did great.

I fake a proud smile.

-and you can invite your friend tomorrow if you want to. Let go have dinner.

We have lunch and SP didn't stop praising me infront of BG and Sterry. And Sterry was looking at me like I was some goddess. I felt wrong the whole time.

After dinner was over I rushed to my room and slammed the door behind me, jumped on my pillow and start hitting it.

I felt happy, I was proud of myself when they were praising me... I think I am starting to love them, Hertha wouldn't have loved them.. or would've she?

No, I can't. I will never like those rotten creatures. I will never forget how they treated Sabo, and the useless, rebel me the one that was acting like a normal kid would.

And I am not Hertha, I don't have the right to talk about how they treated me before. So.. should I just use this opportunity to act like a kid, something I feel like I never did?

But they do not love me unconditionally, they only love the fact that I'm useful. But do I, too, not love them unconditionally? I only love the fact that they're treating me good and giving me the bare minimum of what a pair of parents should?

No, I'm getting ahead of myself. I need my name charms.

I go to my diary book, and look at the names written in the first page and instantly calm down. I then go to sleep after my night routine.

I'm getting a lot of sleep these days, I love that.

The next day, I went to the library and read books to distract myself from what's about to happen tonight and from the fact that Sabo might do something reckless.

Fuck I can't concentrate at all, I need to know that Sabo is okay. What is this book even? Raspaculus Martha's theories? Ugh. It looks so interesting but I can't even focus my eyesight.

The day was long, and the night finally came. I watched as everything took fire from the balcony of my room. And my stress only grew more annoying to deal with.

After a few laps around the room, I eventually decide to sneak out and check where the hell is my brother.

I take my most comfortable black dress and put a black cloth to cover my silver hair and most of my face. I tie my blanket together and form a rope to get down with.

Everyone is watching the fire show, I don't think anyone would see my rope.

I run through the garden and go in between the gates' metal bars. I continue to run and run, I fall a few times because people kept bumping into me but still continue to run to the main gates of Goa.

I go to the guards and give them a few gold coins.
-oh my? Gold coins? What would the little miss want to do?

-can you come with me outside of the gates? My dumb friend went out to look for his beggar friends and I want him to come here safe.

-but there is a huge inferno outside, if you want to go alone, you can. We can't go with you.

-i will give you more gold coins after you've helped me.

-i'm sorry but a few gold coins aren't worth our entire life.

I don't give a fuck about your life, my Sabo is a hundred times more important than useless shits like you.

-mhh... true. I apologize, I shouldn't have said that. Let me go outside and I will knock 2 then 4 then 2 times for you to let me in, and of course you'll have more gold coins.

They looked surprised that I don't look down on their life and that I resolute myself so fast to go help my brother.

-but you look so fragile... you shouldn't throw away your life.

-we're wasting time right now, just let me out.

They eventually let me out, and I immediately regret going out. The heat drains every little energy from me and I feel weak as I am hardly able to breath.

I look everywhere, for about 3 long minutes. I fall so many times that I'm bruised and burnt everywhere. Luckily, I find my brother. But the sight of him... crying about how he's ashamed of being a noble and how he want the random cloaked guy infront of him to save everyone, it was.... really pitiful...