Twenty Four

Gabriel found Sam alone in the library, probably reading up on opening portals again. He immediately went and sat down next to the hunter. "Hey, kiddo. How are you doing?"

Sam shrugged his shoulders. "I'm okay. Thank you for helping me last night. You shouldn't have had to do that."

"I didn't have to. I wanted to. You've been there for me in every way you could since Lucifer and Amenadiel brought me back. I wanted to return the favor. I wanted to help you. I still do," Gabriel said.

"I'm not sure what to do, Gabriel. I cant stay here anymore. That's pretty obvious. Even if maybe I deserve some of it, I cant let Dean keep beating me up over what happened," Sam said.

"You do not deserve it!" Gabriel said firmly. He wasn't going to let Dean's stupidity continue to destroy Sam's self-esteem. That was bad enough already.

Sam simply shrugged in response. "I don't know where to go. I mean, I guess I can just hunt on my own for a while., but I don't think I really want to."

"Well, Luci says LA's pretty cool. I've been a few times. It's not bad. You could join us," Gabriel said. He tried hard to seem nonchalant about it, but he was really hoping Sam agreed to come.

That was actually really appealing to Sam. He hadn't liked that Gabriel would be leaving with Lucifer without him, even if he knew it was best for Gabriel. He didn't want to lose him. Still, Sam wasn't sure he should go with them. "I don't know. I cant really afford a place, and I don't want to be a burden on Lucifer."

Gabriel was about to respond when he heard footsteps enter the room. He turned to see Jack. "Hey, kid."

"Father's back," Jack said.

Sam and Gabriel immediately got up and followed Jack down to the kitchen. Dean, Castiel, Lucifer, and Maze were there.

"How'd it go?" Gabriel asked.

"Unpleasantly," Lucifer said flatly.

"Where's Adam?" Dean demanded to know.

"Amenadiel sent his soul to Heaven," Lucifer said.

"What? What the hell? You were supposed to bring him back to us!" Dean said heatedly.

"I agreed to nothing of the sort. I said I'd release his soul from the Cage. I did as agreed. I spoke with Adam. I asked him what he wanted. He wanted to go to Heaven to be with his mother," Lucifer explained.

"So, you just let him die?!" Dean yelled.

"Your brother was already dead. He died the moment he entered that cage. Actually, from what I've been told, he died before then. He was brought back as a means to an end, and then trapped in his own body by an archangel, who used him as a means to an end. He'd been through enough, don't you agree?" Lucifer asked.

"He's right, Dean. Adam didn't want to be here," Sam said. Honestly, he never thought Lucifer was going to bring Adam back. He always assumed he'd just let his soul move on. That was what was in Adam's best interests. He'd suffered enough.

Dean rounded on his brother. "You're saying it's good that he's dead?! We could've helped him. We could've showed him what having brothers means."

Sam laughed bitterly. "We don't even know what that means anymore, Dean. Just let it be. Adam is where he wants to be."

"So, what about Michael? You said it wasn't pleasant. I take it things didn't go well with him?" Gabriel asked.

"You could say that. He's bloody insane," Lucifer said.

"Did he attack you?" Sam asked.

"No, he hugged me!" Lucifer said in disbelief. He still couldn't get over it. The bastard had hugged him like nothing had ever happened between them, like the ponce hadn't sent him to Hell.