Ten

Sam was in the kitchen the next day making breakfast. Once again, he hadn't slept much at all. Every time he closed his eyes, he saw Gabriel's face. He saw the fear and brokenness all over him. It made him sick. It wasn't right. Gabriel had always been a happy person. He was always laughing and playing pranks, even if many of them were only funny to him. He was always strong. He was an Archangel for crying out loud. But now he was none of that. He was completely and utterly broken.

Just then, footsteps were heard, followed by Dean's voice. "You're cooking? You never cook? Do you even know how?"

"Of course. I did have to eat at college, and I couldn't always get takeout. I just had no need for it when I went back on the road with you. Then when we moved in here, you seemed to take the kitchen over," Sam said.

Dean grabbed a slice of bacon from the plate nearby of what was done. He immediately munched on it. "Not bad, Sammy."

Sam flipped some pancakes from the pan onto a plate. He then grabbed the chocolate syrup next to it and started lathering it on the pancakes.

"Dude, talk about teeth rotting. Aren't you the one that's usually harping about being healthy?" Dean asked.

"They're for Gabriel. He'll wanna eat something sweet," Sam said.

Dean looked at his brother sadly. "If he wants to eat at all. He didn't seem up to doing anything last night."

Sam shuddered as he once again pictured the Archangel's face.

"What he went through is hitting you hard," Dean said. It wasn't a question. He could see the turmoil on his brother's face. Dean wasn't sure why. He certainly understood being horrified by it, but it seemed different for Sam. It was like it was haunting him.

"What happened to him was terrible, Dean. Asmodeus tortured him for God only knows how long, and who knows how long it would've gone on if things had been different. What would've happened if Lucifer hasn't decided to go after Amenadiel to protect Jack?" Sam asked. That question had been torturing him. Gabriel could've been stuck with that torture until it finally killed him if not for Lucifer.

"It doesn't matter. They found him," Dean said.

"Do you think he was down there the whole time?" Sam asked. If Gabriel had been down there since the fight with 'Lucifer' then Sam felt like it was his fault. Gabriel had gone into that hotel to protect everyone from that thing with his brother's Grace, and that had been necessary because Sam had opened the cage.

"I don't know," Dean said.

Amenadiel came down at that moment. "Morning."

Sam and Dean both turned to him. "Hey, Amenadiel. How's Gabriel?" Sam asked.

"I haven't seen him yet this morning. Lucifer's with him though. He hasn't left his side," Amenadiel said. His eyes made it clear he was tortured with thoughts of Gabriel. Gabriel was his baby brother. He didn't have the relationship with him the Lucifer had, but he loved him.

"Please tell me Asmodeus is dead," Sam said.

"Not yet, but I assure you, he will die! But first he's going to suffer for what he did," Amenadiel vowed. He wasn't usually one for torture, even with demons, but this demon had destroyed his little brother. He wanted him to suffer like Gabriel had.

"Wait, you didn't kill him? What the hell? He'll come after us," Dean said angrily.

"No, he won't. He's being handled. Maze is occupying him, and I don't know any demon more capable than her," Amenadiel told him. "Gabriel needed to be our priority. We needed to get him out of there."