Thirty-Eight

As soon as Mary walked through the door, she heard screaming from her two sons.

"Can't you go even a minute without acting like a dick?!" Sam asked angrily.

"Oh, yeah, go for it, Sammy. Defend your asshole lover and his siblings!" Dean yelled angrily.

"Would you two idjits knock it off?" Bobby asked. He was present for the whole thing, and found himself less than thrilled. They had enough to deal with without two morons going at each other.

"You calling anyone an asshole is rich right now! You've been nothing but an asshole for months!" Sam continued as if the alternate version of his surrogate father never spoke.

"Yeah, well, maybe if my brother didn't stick up for killers, I wouldn't be such an asshole. But that seems to be your MO, Sam. You always trust the wrong people!" Dean yelled.

Sam laughed loudly. "Oh, wow! Can you say the pot calling the kettle black?! Should I start with Crowley or your vampire BFF?"

Dean immediately threw a punch at his brother, hitting him square in the jaw.

Sam recovered quickly enough from the blow and followed up with a punch of his own.

Mary had seen enough. She immediately got in between her two sons before it could go any further. "Hey! Stop it! What is wrong with the two of you?!"

"There's nothing wrong with me. He's the one whose lost his freaking mind. Go ahead, Sammy. Tell her about your new archangel boyfriend," Dean goaded.

"How about I tell her how I can't wait to never have to see you again?!" Sam asked angrily. Okay, he didn't totally mean that. He wasn't at the point where he never wanted to see his brother again, but he was getting closer to that point every day.

Dean felt a pain to his chest at his brother's words, but he ignored it, and continued to glare at his brother. "Too bad I'm not letting you leave with those asshats!"

"Okay, that's enough! Dean, go outside!" Mary ordered. She needed to get to the bottom of this, and she had to do it by speaking to her boys separately. It was the only way to have a conversation without biting remarks and punches thrown. She decided to start with Sam because it was going to be easier to get information out of him right now.

"Fine," Dean said before storming out of the house.

Mary looked at Bobby. "Would you give us a couple of minutes?"

"Gladly. I'm glad I never had siblings," Bobby said before walking outside.

Once he was gone, Mary turned to her son and pointed to the beat-up couch behind him. "Let's sit down."

Sam nodded and sat down on the couch.

Mary sat next to him. "How long have things been like this?"

"Well, they haven't been exactly like this. I've been trying to avoid it coming to this. But things have been tense for months," Sam said.

"Was what Dean said about an archangel boyfriend a metaphor?" Mary asked.

"Um...I guess that I should start by telling you that I've never had a sexual preference when it comes to gender. I hope you're okay with that. I know that in your time, things were much less tolerable on that," Sam said with more than a little bit of nervousness in his voice.

"Sam, I've known plenty of people who were gay or bisexual. It doesn't bother me," Mary assured him.

Sam let out the breath he didn't know he was holding in. "Thanks."