Twenty Nine

Lucifer was sitting in the library looking at Linda through Sam's computer. "I don't see why you're bothering with me, Doctor. Michael's the one you're supposed to be helping."

"I told you I would need to speak with you, Lucifer," Linda reminded him.

"Well, I don't see why? I'm not the one with jumbled brains," Lucifer grumbled.

"Did Amenadiel tell you what I spoke with him about?" Linda asked.

"No. He said you'd tell me yourself," Lucifer said. That had been highly irritating and disconcerting. The fact that his brother wouldn't tell him what was said made it quite clear that he was going to pay for whatever it was.

Linda couldn't say she was surprised that Amenadiel hadn't told Lucifer. It might even be better that he hadn't. Lucifer might have refused to speak with her if he had. "I asked Amenadiel about the circumstances surrounding you being banished from your home."

"What for? That has nothing to do with what is going on now," Lucifer said.

"I don't agree. Whatever happened to Michael started with you," Linda said.

"I am not responsible for what happened to that ponce!" Lucifer protested loudly.

"I didn't say you were responsible, Lucifer. I said it started with you. I believe Michael's break began when you were kicked out," Linda said.

"That's ridiculous. Michael was perfectly sane when he cast me out. He was sane enough to call me evil. He sent me to Hell without any regard for the fact that he..."

"For the fact that he raised you?" Linda asked when he trailed off.

Lucifer didn't reply. He simply looked at his hands and attempted to get his emotions under control. He hated losing control like this, and he hated Michael even more for bringing them out now.

"You feel more betrayed by Michael than you do your father, don't you?" Linda asked.

"They're both bastards. There is no point in discussing this," Lucifer said.

"Clearly there is. What happened damaged both you and Michael," Linda said.

"Don't talk to me about the damage it did to Michael!" Lucifer exploded. "I was the one treated like a pariah and cast out of my own home, not him! He is the one that kicked me out! He wouldn't even listen to what I had to say! Father said I was to go, so Michael just did his bidding!"

"What about before? What was Michael like before he kicked you out. Was he like he is now?" Linda asked. She decided to turn things away from Lucifer being kicked out, at least for now. He was too close to completely shutting down to continue with that for now.

Lucifer took a deep breath and calmed down a bit. "No, he's bloody crazy now."

"Amenadiel says he was different before you were forced to leave," Linda commented.

"I suppose. I can't say for sure what he was like afterwards, but from what I've heard, I'd say he was different. I suppose he was a little bit like he is now before. He wasn't deliriously happy, like now, but he was happy, though certainly strict. He was very unfun," Lucifer said.

"Would anyone consider their parent to be fun?" Linda asked, incurring a flinch from Lucifer. "That's what he was to you, wasn't he?"

Lucifer nodded after a minute. "That's close enough, I suppose. My parents were busy creating. It's not that they were never around, just not for day to day things. Michael was to take care of those things for me when they couldn't."

"How did you feel about him doing that?" Linda asked.

Lucifer shrugged. "I don't know. It was all I ever knew. How was I supposed to feel?"