Sixteen

A couple of days later, Sam was sitting in the library with Lucifer, Jack, and Castiel going through books to try to find a way to open a portal to the alternate universe. It was just the three of them, as Amenadiel had dropped by Heaven, Dean was up in his room, Maze was out of the bunker, and Gabriel was sleeping. Gabriel was still not sleeping well as night, plus his Grace was low, so he slept often during the day.

"This is boring," Lucifer whined. He would rather be doing anything than hovering over a bunch of books that were absolutely no help.

Jack sighed. "I should be able to open it myself. I did it once before."

"You didn't know you were doing it. It was part of being born," Castiel said.

"I could still try," Jack said.

"I don't want you trying. You can't control the ability, so who knows what would happen. No, as much as it pains me to say it, we will do it this way," Lucifer said firmly.

"Don't worry, Jack, we'll find something in here," Sam said.

Just then, Dean came into the room. "Hey. Any luck?"

"Not yet," Sam told his brother.

"Didn't think so. Well, I caught a case," Dean said.

Sam turned to Dean in surprise. "You're looking for cases? Don't we have other pressing concerns?"

"We've been sitting around doing nothing. I need to get out of here for a while," Dean said. He really needed to get away from the Devil and whatever Sam was doing with him before he killed someone. A hunt would help him blow off steam and maybe help him come up with a way to stop whatever Lucifer was doing with Sam.

Sam reluctantly started to get up. He didn't particularly want to go, but Dean had made up his mind and he didn't want him to go alone. "Fine, let me get ready."

"No, you stay here and keep an eye on your boyfriend and his asshole brothers," Dean said with a glare sent towards Lucifer.

Jack looked at his father in confusion. "Father, you are with Sam now?"

"Ignore what this moron says, Jack. He doesn't know what he's talking about," Lucifer said in an almost bored tone.

"You shouldn't go alone, Dean," Sam said. He tried hard to ignore his brother's last comment.

"Cas can come with me," Dean said.

Castiel turned to Dean in surprise. "Dean, I believe I am of better use here."

"I disagree, brother. You're of better use taking this away for a while," Lucifer said as he gestured to Dean. He for one was not sorry to see the hunter go for a while. It would be good to be free of him for a few days.

"I'll meet you in the car," Dean said through gritted teeth before walking out of the room.

"Are you sure you'll be alright without me?" Castiel asked.

"Yeah, it's fine, Cas. I'd rather Dean have someone to watch his back, and he's right at least about it being better that it's not me right now," Sam said. Lucifer wasn't the only one who needed a break from Dean's crap. It was really better for everyone, especially Jack and Gabriel.

"I will call if something happens," Castiel said before standing up and walking away.

Lucifer got up as well and followed his brother out of the room. "Just a moment, Castiel."

Castiel turned to Lucifer and waited for whatever he wanted to say.

"Do you have any sway over that unfortunate human?" Lucifer asked.