Twelve

Lucifer spent the rest of the night and the next day sitting with his little brother. Gabriel hadn't improved significantly. He still wouldn't speak, and he was very frightened when someone went to touch him. He allowed Lucifer to, but he was still wary of it. But he had improved some. He showed that he understood what was going on around him and who was around him. That meant something.

It was all enough that Lucifer decided it would be alright to leave him for a while. He wouldn't be gone long, not by Earth standards anyway. He would just be gone long enough to punish and then finish Asmodeus. Gabriel would probably sleep the entire time anyway, and if not, Lucifer trusted that Sam would be there to help him.

Before going to get Amenadiel to return to Hell, Lucifer stopped by Jack's room. He needed to let his son know he'd be gone for a while. He knocked on the door and waited.

"Come in," Jack said from the other side of the door.

Lucifer opened the door and found Jack laying on his bed.

Jack sat up when he saw his father. "Father."

"Jack, I will be leaving for a short while. I have unfinished business to take care of," Lucifer said.

"You're coming back, right?" Jack asked. His father said he wouldn't leave him, but he found himself afraid of the contrary. He had become quite attached to the man in the short time he'd known him.

"Of course. My absence will only be noticed by you for a few hours," Lucifer said. It would be more like a few days for him, as Hell moved slower, but on Earth, not much time would pass. It was quite convenient in this instance.

"Are you going after Asmodeus?" Jack asked.

"Yes, and before you ask me again, no, you may not come. I don't want you to ever see the walls of Hell," Lucifer said firmly.

Jack nodded. "You'll be careful, won't you?"

"I will be fine, Jack. Your uncle will be with me, as will Mazikeen. The only one to die today will be Asmodeus. I will be back in a few hours," Lucifer promised.

Jack nodded. Honestly, he was worried for his father, but he was glad he was going to kill Asmodeus. He knew the demon was dangerous and after him. While Jack had managed to fight Asmodeus off once before, what if he couldn't the next time they met. He had very little control over his abilities, and what Asmodeus had done to his Uncle Gabriel frightened him.

"I'll come find you when I return," Lucifer promised before leaving the room. He went down to the library next, where he found the Winchester, Castiel, and Amenadiel.

"Hey, Luci. How's Gabriel doing?" Amenadiel asked.

"Well, no change since earlier today or last night, but better than he was a few days ago. It'll take time," Lucifer said.

"It's amazing how one song was a turning point," Sam said.

"Do you think it somehow jolted his mind into remembering you or something?" Amenadiel asked Lucifer.

"No. I don't think he ever forget anything. I think my singing that specific song convinced him I was who I said I was, and not just some elaborate mirage created by Asmodeus," Lucifer said.

Sam's eyes widened in horror. "You really think he thought that."

"It seems very plausible. There are times when I caught him staring at me, as if trying to make a decision about me. I think it was whether or not I was really his brother," Lucifer explained.

"That's awful. That bastard needs to pay for what he's done to him," Amenadiel growled. He wanted severe pain brought down on Asmodeus. Gabriel was a mess because of him. It pained Amenadiel to see him that way. He remembered Gabriel as a fledgling, and even when he had grown up. He was always happy and playful. It was rare to see a frown on his face. Now he was broken, and it was killing Amenadiel to see it. The person responsible needed to pay.