Thirty Four

Jack walked into the kitchen the next morning to find his Uncle Gabriel, Uncle Amenadiel, Dean, and Sam sitting there. His father, Michael, and Castiel weren't there yet. He was worried about his father. He was acting really weird the night before.

"Morning, kiddo," Gabriel said to his nephew.

"Morning. Where's Father?" Jack asked.

"He's probably up with Mike," Gabriel said.

"Something's wrong. Father came to see me last night. He hugged me, and then he told me he loved me and that he'd never hurt me," Jack said. It wasn't like it was the first time his father had ever hugged him, but this was different. He had been really upset, like something bad happened, and given that it happened right after the meeting with Michael and that doctor, Jack was sure Michael had done something. "What did Michael do to my father?"

"It's not that simple, Jack," Amenadiel said.

Just then, Michael walked into the room.

"Morning, Mike," Gabriel said.

"Good morning," Michael greeted.

Jack went up to him. "What did you do to my father?"

"W...what?" Michael asked confused.

"Jack, don't," Sam said.

"He's upset and hurt. What did you do?" Jack demanded to know.

"That's enough, Jack," Lucifer's stern voice called out.

Jack turned to his father. "Father..."

"Come here," Lucifer cut him off.

Jack went over to his father, who gently pulled him from the room.

"You need to let Michael be. The way you just spoke to him is unacceptable," Lucifer said firmly.

"But he did something," Jack argued.

"He did not," he said.

"But you were upset after you talked to him. I could tell when you came out of the library, and when you came to see me. You were hurt," Jack said.

"Yes, I admit that, but it wasn't Michael's fault. I was upset in part because I made a mistake. Michael did not hurt me. He's only ever tried to protect me. I just didn't understand that before," Lucifer told him.

"But you said he betrayed you," Jack reminded him.

"I was wrong. It's complicated, but Michael's actions were never meant to hurt me. He wanted to protect me, and in attempting it, he almost destroyed himself. He didn't deserve for you to throw accusations at him," Lucifer said firmly.

"Sorry," Jack said.

"It isn't me you need to apologize to," Lucifer said before motioning with his head back to the kitchen.

Jack nodded and walked back inside. He went up to Michael, who was sitting next to Amenadiel. "Michael, I'm..."

"Uncle Michael," Lucifer corrected. Jack addressed Gabriel and Amenadiel as his uncles. It was only fair that he did the same for Michael.

"He doesn't have to," Michael said.

"Yes, he does," Lucifer said firmly.

"I'm sorry, Uncle Michael. I was just scared because my father was hurt. I thought you were the one to hurt him," Jack said.

"I was," was Michael's response.

"No, you weren't. What happened was not your fault. You did something to protect me that nearly destroyed you, but you don't have to anymore. I understand," Lucifer assured him.