six

CONRAD

Conrad loves being a doctor, he really does. He's peaceful in surgery, working on hearts. But every once in a while, like now, when his surgery is running long and he's craving Belly, he wonders if he should have just gone into sales or something. Something that would have him home every night at 5, and not keep his wife waiting on him.

It's almost 9:30 by the time he pulls into the driveway. There are no lights on in the house, which must mean she's already asleep. He quietly enters the house and sets everything down on the counter. He climbs the stairs and can hear her humming from the bathroom.

She's up to her neck in bubbles, listening to music with her eyes closed.

"I love coming home to you," Conrad says, careful not to scare her.

She doesn't even open her eyes, she just smiles at the sound of his voice. "Come join me."

Conrad leans down next to the tub, close to her face. "I have food downstairs, do you want to eat?"

She opens her eyes. Their eyes lock and he melts. There she is. "Nope. I want you to come in and enjoy this bath with me."

Conrad leans forward to kiss her forehead, "Let me go put the food away."

"Hurry back!" She says in a sing-songy voice.

Conrad puts the food away, makes sure the house is locked up and then returns upstairs. He pulls off his scrubs, and climbs into the tub. The water feels incredible. Belly watches him submerge himself in the bubbles.

"How was your day?" She slides her feet up and down his chest.

"It was fine, I talked to Laurel."

"You did?"

"Yep, she said the boys are doing great. Shayla and Steven got there this morning," Conrad rubs her legs under the water, her skin is so smooth he thinks to himself.

"I forgot about Shayla and Steven," she says absently.

Conrad frowns. "What's up?"

She looks back at him, "oh nothing."

"I'm sorry I'm home so late," Conrad says quietly.

"It's okay. I figured you would be late tonight," She doesn't seem mad at all. Conrad sighs in relief.

"Are you excited to see the boys tomorrow?"

"Of course I am, but this time with you has been so wonderful." She smiles at him. This smile she's giving him, is reserved for him. Her eyes are sparkly, and smile wide, with a little smirk in it.

"It really has been. Being with you, like this, without the boys, reminds me of when we were still young and falling in love."

"Mmm" she says in agreement, "I didn't need to fall in love with you, Con. I have been in love with you since the day I was born."

"You know what I mean. After you graduated. We spent our nights on the beach, or in the pool, just talking. There's never been enough time with you."