fifty

CONRAD

Conrad's ribs hurt, and his face is turning a gross yellowy color. But come mid-February, he's healing up okay.

He and Jeremiah are up at the beach house, checking the renovations. So far, it looks really good. They've completed the expansion, and now are building out the additional bedrooms. The kitchen is finished, complete with more seating and Belly's dream breakfast nook.

"What's going on with Taylor and Jason?" Jeremiah asks, handing Conrad a beer and flopping down on the couch next to him.

Conrad pops the cap off, "I don't really know. We got a restraining order, and so far they haven't showed back up."

"How are you and Belly doing with all of it?"

Conrad takes a long sip, "We're okay. Belly is scared, so am I. He feels like ours, you know? I never thought I could love a kid that wasn't mine the same way, but I do. Crew feels like my son, so when something like this happens, it's just a harsh reality that no matter what the documents say, he isn't."

Jeremiah shakes his head, "He's yours in every way that matters though. Biology doesn't matter. You and Belly are his parents."

"They might not ever stop fighting for him. This might be the rest of our lives."

"Nah," Jeremiah takes a sip, "Taylor gets bored easily, she always has. She's not going to fight a fight she can't win, it's not in her nature."

"Jason might though,"

"Jason's a prick, dude. He didn't even want Crew."

Conrad raises his eyebrows, "How did you know that?" Conrad and Belly knew this of course, but they never shared it with anyone else. They didn't ever want Crew to hear someone say that.

"Taylor told me when she was here, and got into that huge fight with Belly. She just started venting."

Conrad sighs, "Please don't say that in front of Crew. I really don't want him thinking that no one wants him."

"I won't, but my point is that you guys are better for him, and Jason doesn't stand a chance."

"Thanks Jere," Conrad smiles, although he's not sure if he feels any better about the situation.

Jeremiah sets his beer down on the table and clears his throat, "Hey, I wanted to ask you something."

"Okay."

"So Dad said he gave you mom's engagement ring when you decided to propose to Belly."

Conrad knits his eyebrows together, "Yeah, he did."

"But you only used the band, right? Not the diamond?"

Conrad nods, "Yeah,"

"Well, I was wondering if I could use the diamond for Hailey."

Conrad smiles, "Jere, are you proposing?"

"I want to."

"That's great man, I'm really really happy for you guys."